cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not telnet to a 3524 switch

hhice
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to this 'game', so please excuse what might be a simple question to many of you. I have 7-3524 switches and only one of them is having this problem. When I try to connect via telent I get the error - 'connection failed'. When I attempt to connect from another 3524 switch, I get the error - 'connection refused by remote host'. These functions worked at one time.

I power down the switch last night to see if a reboot would help but it did not.

I can connect to the switch through the console port.

Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you able to ping this particular switch from your workstation and other switches? If you cannot, do a sh interface "vlan " and see if the interface is up/up.

Yes, I can ping the switch from my workstation and from another switch.

ryandouglas
Level 1
Level 1

does this switch have an IP assigned to vlan1? If not you will not be able to connect via ethernet only console.

secondly, have you disabled telnet on the device? (line vty 0 4)

Our switches have an assigned management VLAN and the problem switch does have an IP address assigned to it. Comparing it to the other switches, it is configurated the same except for the address.

Line vty 0 4 configuration has: exec-timeout, password, login and transport input none and transport output none. (I checked other switches on line vty 0 4 and their configurations did not have the "transport" settings.

djmeier
Level 1
Level 1

When you're logged in through console, what does the switch say under:

line vty 0 4

???

You could change your config to this to login to the switch via telnet:

line vty 0 4

login local

You must make sure you have a username in your config to do this though!!!

To do this (obviously after you "enable")

config t

username (enter username here) password (enter password here)

If you want the password to not be displayed in plain text type this (while still in config mode):

service password-encryption

Hope this helps...

See the entry above yours to see what setting are on line vty 0 4.

As I said in my first post, everything was working. I am trying to find out if someone or something changed in the setting for this switch.

Thanks to all for their entries.

zesum
Level 1
Level 1

In the case..

First , 3524 don't have enable password

If 3524 have not enable password(or secret password), u don't connect telnet to switch..

second, 3524 switch have access-list?

bye