Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4500 power supplies

klaudia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

can anybody tell me whether the power supplies in Cat4500 are hot swappable?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the power suplies are hot swappable, but you have two possible modes:

The Catalyst 4500 series switches support two power management modes:

Redundant mode:Redundant mode uses one power supply as a primary power supply and the second power supply as a back-up. If the primary power supply fails, the second power supply immediately supports the switch without any disruption in the network. Both power supplies must be the same wattage. A single power supply must have enough power to support the switch configuration.

Combined mode:Combined mode uses the power from all installed power supplies to support the switch configuration power requirements. However, combined mode has no power redundancy. If a power supply fails, one or more modules might shut down.

By default, a switch is set to redundant mode. In the show power command, if the power supplies needed by system is 1, the switch is in redundant mode; if the power supplies needed by system is 2, the switch is in combined mode.

Regards

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the power suplies are hot swappable, but you have two possible modes:

The Catalyst 4500 series switches support two power management modes:

Redundant mode:Redundant mode uses one power supply as a primary power supply and the second power supply as a back-up. If the primary power supply fails, the second power supply immediately supports the switch without any disruption in the network. Both power supplies must be the same wattage. A single power supply must have enough power to support the switch configuration.

Combined mode:Combined mode uses the power from all installed power supplies to support the switch configuration power requirements. However, combined mode has no power redundancy. If a power supply fails, one or more modules might shut down.

By default, a switch is set to redundant mode. In the show power command, if the power supplies needed by system is 1, the switch is in redundant mode; if the power supplies needed by system is 2, the switch is in combined mode.

Regards

Peter

klaudia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Peter,

that is EXACTLY the answer I need. Thanks a LOT for your prompt helpful info!

Klaudia

Hi Klaudia,

I'm really pleased, that i can helped you.

Peter