cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 can't talk to Windows 2000 PCs

r.fang
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new cat 3560 switch, and we connect PCs( running windows XP and windows 2000) into switch, we notice that XP manchine could connect to switch, but windows 2000 machine with Intel NIC could not establish connection with switch, we try to config both NIC and swith to speed 100 and half duplex or speed 100 and full duplex, still did not work. any idea? ( we plug anther laptop with windows xp and switch port come up fine).

Thanks in advance for your advice

6 Replies 6

dtodd
Level 1
Level 1

Normally there should not be any problems with the connection to a switch. I would do the following to determine what the problem is in your case.

Set the port to auto, set the 2k box to auto.

Connect the 2k box to the switch. Do a show int and see if you have any errors seen on the port. Aslo see what the state of the port is in (up/down; down/down; up/up etc). You can also do a show controller and see more details on the port. Do a screen capture and post it and we can see more information. I would assume that if you connect the laptop to the xp box using a cross over the connection comes up and both machines can talk to each other?

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What configuration do you have on the ports? If you do not have "switchport host" enabled, enable it under the interfaces and try.

I agree with PRkrishn , try the switchport host command , not sure why the win 2000 ones won't come up when the xp ones do other than maybe the XP machines initially bring up the nic card much earlier in the bootup cycle so that will come online once they are booted up where the 2000 machines will timeout (dhcp) waiting for the port to go thru the complete spanning tree cycle because they don't bring up the nic cards until late in the bootup cycle .

robphill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

are you using DHCP by any chance? there is no setting on a switch that will allow one Windows build to work but not another one.

Rob,

Thanks, The PCs that have connection issue are all Intel NIC, and I think that is why cause connectivity issues. We will update all NIC driver and see if that make different

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card