Views
Helpful
Replies

Concentrating DSL on Cisco 3600

velimirmkd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I read that 3600 is usually used for let's say larger branch office do access the central office via 6000 concentrator for example, but my question is: is it possible to make the 3600 act as a DSL concentrator, meaning is there way to accept several DSL connections to 3600

Thanks

3 Replies 3

xavierchang
Level 7
Level 7

Absolutely.

The 6400 series (the 6100/6200 are EOL now) is basically custom-built for large service-providers who want to do large-scale DSL aggregation and grooming. But pretty much any router with the appropriate interfaces and horsepower can serve as a DSL aggregator in theory. For example, many DSL providers use the 7200 or the 7500 as a combination aggregator and edge router.

bryan.king
Level 1
Level 1

Are you trying to aggregate bandwidth or are you trying to use it as a concentrator to terminate connections like you would use a 6000?

j.way
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to add that if you are using ADSL over frame-relay you can simply enable bridging:

interface Serial0/0

description Connected to DSL Frame-Relay

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

keepalive 12

no frame-relay inverse-arp

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface Serial0/0.1 point-to-point

description connected to Customer

bandwidth ???

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

frame-relay interface-dlci ??

bridge-group 1

You can just keep adding subs to this. Also, add this to your config to get the bridging working:

frame-relay switching

bridge irb

interface BVI1

description Primary DSL Bridge-Group

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 route ip

You can add bridge groups to this as well. Check out Frame-Relay Bridging in case I am missing anything, but this should do it for ya.