cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does a 9404 catalyst chassis NEED to be grounded ?

Hi,

I have installed a 9404 switch and cant see in the documentation that earthing the switch is a MUST. We need to know if grounding the switch is absolutely required as we are migrating our distribution to this switch this week. 

Please advise as soon as you can.

Best Regards,

Sabeel

5 Replies 5

Its not must. device will work even without that. but it is extremely recommended to do so. that will protect internal components of switch.

check this for guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/hardware/install/b_c9400_hig.pdf

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, if you don't, when you touch the device, it's then more likely for you to become the conduit to ground.  So, that's one reason, as @Kasun Bandara notes, it's extremely recommended (even though it's unlikely).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes always suggested to do - if not you see different outcome and also failures of modules and other components.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those line cards are pretty expensive. 
It is too bad if the chassis was not grounded and fries the line card due to static discharge.  

Thank You all. I have managed to push our onsite electricians to get it done today. The reason i asked was to build a justification as to why I needed it done earlier that the date they have me.