cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP Question

teyobanilom
Level 1
Level 1

I am contemplating of migrating from HSRP to GLBP. Besides the inherent advantages, can anyone give me a feedback on its use on a production network?

On what IOS is it supported?

I am

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

GLBP protects data traffic from a failed router or circuit, while allowing packet load sharing between a group of redundant

routers.The key place where GLBP fits is in a user environment (where host load is unpredictable). The following pdf briefs it all.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/glbpd_ds.pdf

I'm using HSRP right now in a user environment and implemented load balancing by defining two HSRP group to balance out data traffic (i.e one department pointing to one HSRP virtual IP and another department on another HSRP virtual IP.)

My question is if there will be added benefit for implementing GLBP.

We are trying to streamline the network so if GLBP is benificial, might as well go with it.

Thanks for the inputs.

We will be rolling out GLBP within the next few months in a Campus environment (6000 hosts). Dual distribution 6509 with 3550/3750 in the closets at 3 large sites. GLBP has performed well in the lab. I hope for the same in production.

Hello.

I had used MHSRP in my company.

Now, I'm using GLBP because of loadbalancing.

Don't forget, GLBP operate host mac based...

For exmaple, i have 100 hosts in vlan 100, 50 hosts use router 1, 50 hosts use router 2.

If you want to trace how works well, you have to do "tracert" on PCs. also you can find their mac address table for default gateway by using "arp -a".

50 hosts know mac-address router1 , 50 hosts know mac-address router 2.

Thus Loadbalancing is possible...

Regard,

John.

Hello John,

Can you give me a rundown on how were you able to equally balance traffic usage 50/50. If my understanding is right, you used round-robin for load-balancing method on a single GLBP group, is that right?

Thanks.