Views
Helpful
Replies

How to increase switch cpu load ?

zanzan420
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to load test a switch for work. I am currently using a software called http_load. It's producing requests to a web site that passes through the switch. That way I got the cpuload up to about 80%. But I can't get it higher!

Does anyone had to do this before?

Any idea on how to increase the cpuload of a switch to 100% is welcomed!!

Thank you so much...

Genevieve

10 Replies 10

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Is it an IOS switch?

If yes, enable some debugging.

The more detailed, the higher CPU load.

Regards,

Milan

Hi!

Yes it's an IOS switch.

I like your idea but I don't know how to enable this. Could you tell me please, if you know?

Thanks again,

Genevieve

HI!

you have to give the below command in switch

debug all.

It will debug all the events whatever in switch and also increae your load.

HTH.

Rdgs

Vimal

zanzan420
Level 1
Level 1

Hi again,

Quick question for you guys.

If, someday, I achieve to get my switch's CPU load to 100%, what do you think will happen? There is a web site attach to it...

Thank you

Gen

hi

though its not recommended to do experiments and again it all depends upon the sensitivity of transactions/data available with the website.

if it reaches 100% hope ur CC agents are ready to face the wrost,coz tht will cost ur network performance very badly and the availablity of ur server too..

regds

ehhhhhhhhh....

I don't know what you're talking about, but I have to do that for my job. We are testing the switch (it's kind of old..) to see how bad it is compared to the new one we'll be getting...

The website is not for every one to see anyways...

I don't know why you think you are involved in this!!

hi

thought of giving the info whtever i know and faced in past so u can avoid getin into tht sort of one..

i m blank about u r point of testin a switch though i hvent seen testing one in real time scenarios.

anways pardon me for my proactivness :)

It's okay!

I know this project is weird...

And that's why I'm asking questions here...because I searched for hours on the Web and nothing!!

Good day :)

On most IOS switches (for ex: 3548XL) CPU utilization doesn't reflect switching load or number of packets switched in a time period. CPU processing loads are generally: spanning tree calculations, port/LED status and other control plane operations like these. For 2900/3500XL switches %50 util is an average value even with a minimum switching load. Check this:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/19.html

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

First, I don't have an IOS switch, I have a Content Switch (CSS - 11050).

And for the cpu load, one of my collegues did a little Python script to get it. It logs on the switch, does a "show system ressource" and then takes the number beside the variable named "CPU". Is that okay?

Thanks!

Genevieve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card