cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

isdn issue - how can i check isdn line live or dead?

johnyoon75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I had connected isdn to router's s/t port.

I received 2 wire isdn line. but the router has just one isdn s/t port.

how can i connect both of them?

the cisco document said,

i can just use 3,4,5,6 pins of 8 in RJ-45.

So i connect 3: transmit, 4, receive, 5:receive, 6: transmit.

but the thing is, i don't have any tool to check correly or not.

How can i check isdn line connectivity?

let me know...

8 Replies 8

maximusadonis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

If u have terminated the isdn line correctly, and suppose that the line is active, go to your telnet/hyperterminal active session , on the global mode give a command # sh isdn status...on the output you will get a layer 1 active message..further if u have configured the bri interface correctly you will get a layer2 multiple_frame_established output.

u can use a multimeter/ip phone to check ur isdn line activity...in ur case u dont have either..

in case of doubt..revert to ur service provider.

regards

mahesh.

Hi.

i tried to check status of isdn by using "show isdn status".

but the layer 1 "deactivated"...

So i doubted the line connectivity...

tha't why i'll check the pin arrary tomorrow...

dipumj
Level 1
Level 1

dear friend,

Pls try to chk the voltage of isdn line it should hv 105v t- 96v DC and the two wire hv to connect to the nt1 which will compress the voltage and signal will convert to four wire tx+, TX-, Rx+, RX- so that the digital equipments can communicate, One more method simple like pls dial fm any pstn phone and ur getting engaged sound and the nt1 status lite is glowing the line is active and pls try to reset the nt1 and chk whether the switch type is configured in both area interface and global.

is it right

Thank you for good information.

I'm gonna check what you said.

And i have some questions.

I had connected between ISDN S/T and NT1 by using Straight-through cable. Is it right?

I confused what kind cable is correct to connect both of them.

And, i just can see "noactivated" status of the layer 1 in the ISDN interface.

So i doubted physical layer...but i'm sure about that...

If layer 1 connection work correcty in the ISDN interface, what kind change happen in ISND interface such as changing color of the LED...and so on...

the last question,

If there is no configuration about isdn,

is it possible to check the connection to opposite site by using "isdn test call int bri0/0 xxxx" command?

regard.

john..

straight thru is correct. Even if you don't have a switch listed , so long as there is a signal coming from the NT 1 .....it should say Activated at layer 1. It cannot be shut of course. One easy way to guess would be the presence or abscence of the LED on the Bri card itself.

WOW! - as high as THAT??? ...back at WATERS EDGE CAFE PALEOCHORA (in about 2000) his ISDN line read around 70 volts - probably connected over a phone line going the 60km up to HANIA...

Dustin Burke
Level 1
Level 1

To check to see if your ISDN line works, trying dialing your own number from the router.

Router(Config)#

Router(Config)#isdn test call int ser0/1 xxx-xxx-xxxx  

If your phone rings, it works

To check to see if your ISDN line works, trying dialing your own number from the router.

Router(Config)#

Router(Config)#isdn test call int ser0/1 xxx-xxx-xxxx  

If your phone rings, it works

Actually that doesn't work, because "isdn test call" places data calls, that are normally rejected by phone system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: