Views
Helpful
Replies

Ngenius port monitoring

dedube23
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I am trying ot understand Ngenius now I have it running with a switch and i can not get it to do packet captures or moniotor and layer 3 activity its all greyed out. Do you need a probe to monitor a network on the layer 3 level. I'm lost I can only see the span port that I have enabled on the seitch please someone give me a clue because the doucmentation is awful.

thanks

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, in order to view Network/Application Layer data and do Packet Capture, you must have a NAM or a Probe. Without it, for switches you'll only get mini-rmon data. Data Link Layer graphs only and no Packet Capture.

thank you very much for clearing that up for me appreciate it. What would consititue a probe could I make a probe server or is it just traffic manager or a NAM modual.

For instance is there like a probe client I could install on a server ?

Probe and NAM are separate piece of hardware. It's not a software application. Refer to the docs for more details on this:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/nemnsw/sips/index.shtml

I'm glad I found this posting which was totally by chance. I spent a week trying to get this packet analyzer to work. This should really be cleared up in the documentation.

Thanks

J

Information about using and restrictions with Packet Analyzer and Traffic Monitor. This is because I can´t use Data Capture and there´s no information in CCO. I need to probe that this feature is not available in switches.

Do you have a useful link or documentation?.

Thank you.