Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with 803 series router

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi all

I have a problem with one of the 803 series router .one of our client trying to upgrade the IOS of his router on his own erased everything from the flash including the IOS and landed in trouble at present.

its coming to the boot# prompt we tried loading IOS both thru hyperterm

(xmodem) and also setting TFTP settings in the router but no luck.

while doing thru Xmodem IOS is getting saved in the RAM and when we issue save and boot its not booting ,giving insufficient memory.

after setting the settings for the TFTP and trying to boot with boot tftp = filename command its not taking IOS from the TFTP server.connectivity is perfect no probs with that .

i hve gone thru lot many documents ,has anyone faced this type of problem ??

any inputs will be helpful to make the router up ..

regds

prem

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Does the router meet the ram and flash requirments that the IOS needs ??

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

hi shankar

this is the IOS file c800-y6-mw.121-3.XG4.bin which was working perfectly fine earlier and the same which we r trying to upload to the Flash..the file size is of 2.92MB only..

we r tried to load the same IOS file with which the router was working earlier..atleast to make the router operational.

when we issue list command in the Boot# prompt it shows tiny rom thats it.

when we tried uploading thru Xmodem,Hyperterm it shows the IOS file stored in RAM which creates the problem when we issue boot command.its getting stored in the ram and occuyping the space so the ram doesnt hve free space to boot up..giving no free mem error.

regds

prem

Can you paste the outputs, (the error messages) when you do the following operations.

1. from Rxboot mode, when you try to copy the file from TFTP server ( copy tftp flash)

2. whenyou do xmodem transfer.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

you need to free the memory. i think all the deleted files might have scattered in the memory. either you need to give squeeze flash or erase flash. squeeze flash is not possible coz you are in boot mode. so first erase the flash completely and then load just the ip base image.

Also you need to specify the config register value to 0x2102 using

set ios-conf = 0x2102 and then save. I assume you have all other parameters set like tftp server, tftp file , gateway, and unit ip address.

-Deepu

manish-young
Level 1
Level 1

Dear prem,

I have upgrade ios on 800 series once

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_tech_note09186a0080117772.shtml

this document should do the job

with regards

manish young

hi all

sorry for this delay in replying bck ..

i have been tryn to find out a solution since the TFTP too failed .At last i hve loaded the ios sucessfully on the router and it works fine ...

All rights reserved.

POST ............ OK. 4MB DRAM, 8MB Flash.

boot# list

Status Size Dev Name

------ 48K flash TinyROM-1.4(1)

8128K free 8192K total

boot#

boot# upload xmodem =c800-y6-mw.121-3.XG4.bin

Ready for X/Modem upload ...

CCCCCCCCupload: succeeded (1799 seconds).

boot# save

save: succeeded (0 seconds).

after this earlier i was issuing just only save command after issuing that it gives no mem avl and reboots ..

but this time i gave save and the filename ,now the file got saved in the flash.

boot# save file c800-y6-mw

|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

save: succeeded (39 seconds).

boot# list

Status Size Dev Name

------ 48K flash TinyROM-1.4(1)

---r-x 2994K flash c800-y6-mw

5120K free 8192K total

boot#

then i gave boot now it took the file from the flash and booted properly.

after booting i configured boot system rom in the global otherwise it will be taking everytime to the boot mode then i need to give boot command from the prompt ..

thks for the inputs guys

regds

prem

Hi all,

there is also an undocumented Cisco 800 upgrade flash procedure.

Normally you cant erase the flash from wich the router has booted from , but the trick is

to reload with config-register 0x2101

reload

delete flash:c800-sy6-mw.122-X.Y.bin

copy /erase tftp: flash:

reload

config-register 0x2102

Regards,

Patrizio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card