cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purpose of GIG UPLINK ports on SUP IV for 4500 series

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

OK ...call me stupid but I can not find a good config nor explanation of what the purpose is for the 2 gig uplink ports are for on the supervisor IV Engine for the 4506 switch. If I undersatnd it correctly the 2 uplink ports will connect to other 4506 series switches so a X over is not needed.....plus for redundency.....but I am having issues with connecting to non 4500 series switches via fiber gig port to fiber gig port. I have checked port settings and they seem to be correct..FD...media type correct as SX..but I still have to use a copper X Over to get the 4506 and the 3550 to pass traffic between each other.Thanks for any help. I have no issues with this connection between 3550 switches not even a fiber connection from a 3550 to a 3COM with a fiber module only the 4500 to 3550.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

From what you have posted it looks that you have configured "speed nonegotiate" under gi 0/1 of your cat3550. As it is not the default option you should be able to see in the configuration file. My suggestion is to remove this configuration ("no speed noneg") and I believe everything would be OK.

You are quite right to recognize that there are two types of gigE ports in c4k but even with SupIV uplinks you are able to connect with cat3550 (and at least run ping successfully) without problem. I have tried several times.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please see my post to your other question in this forum (connecting cat4k and c3550).

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks but I have searched all the forums and can not find the post you refer to. If you have some time can you please provide a link to it.

Hi,

From what you have posted it looks that you have configured "speed nonegotiate" under gi 0/1 of your cat3550. As it is not the default option you should be able to see in the configuration file. My suggestion is to remove this configuration ("no speed noneg") and I believe everything would be OK.

You are quite right to recognize that there are two types of gigE ports in c4k but even with SupIV uplinks you are able to connect with cat3550 (and at least run ping successfully) without problem. I have tried several times.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks but I upgraded the IOS version and issue was resolved

Thanks but I upgraded the IOS version on 3550 and issue was resolved

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card