Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP over T1

poeta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm currently using CiscoWorks LMS on my core network. I have a couple of routers however I would like to at least show up in the topology view in CiscoWorks and be able to manage with SNMP. I realize LMS isn't the ideal software to use with this and that it will not show as being connected to my core network but at least I'll be able to see them. I got the first router (Router A) to show up as green. However the second router (Router B) shows up but as red. In the description is says unknown device type and unreachable.This router is connected via T1 line by SBC. The snmp community string is the same as the rest of my devices and in CiscoWorks I performed the Management Station to device for SNMP and it passed just like the other devices. Management station has RW permissions.What is strange also is when I do a "show SNMP" on this router I receive a number other than 0 next to "Unknown Community Name". This number is also increasing every day. Could SBC be blocking my SNMP and injecting something else, but if this is the reason why is my management station able to pass the tests with this device? Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Poeta,

If you are receiving Unknown Community Name, your router is getting SNMP packets from a device on your network with a bad community name. If I was betting man, I would say from CiscoWorks, since I have seen similar problems on my network. I suggest doing the following:

1. Upgrade to the latest IDU.

2. Delete the device in Campus Manager and RME.

3. Delete and re-enter the RW Community name on the failed router.

4. Use snmpwalk -c {community name} {IP Address} .1.3.1.6.1.2.1.1 #Make sure that you do not get any errors.

5. Run ANI Discovery. #Make sure your device is rediscovered.

6. Import ANI into RME and into Device Manager. Check attributes in RME.

7. Check connectivity Campus Manager and Device Manager.

8. {Optional} Let us forum people know if that worked.

Kersean Rozier

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

neonetsup
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like the router SNMP community name is set differently than the CW server knows.

Verify that the snmp community name is set correctly in RME>Administration>Inventory>Check Device Attributes.

Find the IP of the router in question and click Finish. Keep updating the display on the next screen until you see values populate. You should see at least the "Read Community" field populate with an OK if SNMP is successfully talking to that device. If it comes back with anything other than OK, then you know you have a mismatch with the SNMP string on the router or management station.

Thanks for the reply neonsetup. I did check with that and it states the Read Community, Write Community are "OK". Even the Telnet and Enable Secret states it as "OK". That is what has me puzzled. They say Ok but still the router says about "Unknown Community Name" and the value has gone up 16 more numbers since this morning.

Hi,

Iam also a customer with SBC with T-1,and SBC doesnt block any SNMP ports.All i did was created a SNMP community with RW. And it should work fine.

Good Luck

Poeta,

If you are receiving Unknown Community Name, your router is getting SNMP packets from a device on your network with a bad community name. If I was betting man, I would say from CiscoWorks, since I have seen similar problems on my network. I suggest doing the following:

1. Upgrade to the latest IDU.

2. Delete the device in Campus Manager and RME.

3. Delete and re-enter the RW Community name on the failed router.

4. Use snmpwalk -c {community name} {IP Address} .1.3.1.6.1.2.1.1 #Make sure that you do not get any errors.

5. Run ANI Discovery. #Make sure your device is rediscovered.

6. Import ANI into RME and into Device Manager. Check attributes in RME.

7. Check connectivity Campus Manager and Device Manager.

8. {Optional} Let us forum people know if that worked.

Kersean Rozier

First of all, thanks to all of you who responded. It seems I get better responses on these forums than I do with the engineers. I just got it working this morning. It ended up being that in Server Config>Setup>ANI Server admin>Snmp settings I left the "default" row in the table. This was how it looked:

Target Read Com. Write Comm. ***********

10.5.*.* SNMP string SNMP String *********

10.4.*.* SNMP String SNMP String *******

default public public ********

10.18.*.* SNMP String SNMP String *******

The 10.18 was the devices I've been having problems with and the one I just did an ADD which placed it under the "default" row. So after deleting "default" row my "unknown community name" error on the router went away. Also, after trial and error I guess this means that discovery uses this table cause discovery was the only function I was doing that caused the number to increase on the router. The "check device attribute" did not cause the number to increase on the router. Just thought I would throw that out for others that may not be all that familiar with CiscoWorks. Thanks again!

Poeta,

You are correct in stating that the SNMP Community settings in ANI is not Used in RME directly. ANI dumps Device Name and the associated Community String into RME. When you use the "check device attribute" it only looks what the setting are in its table not ANI. That is why I sometimes use "Export to file" to check what setting are in RME. I am glad to hear that your problem is solved.

Kersean Rozier

P.S. If you feel that this has help you solution, could you rate the responces :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card