cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport in multiple VLANs

couchoud
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need to place a port into more than one VLAN, or at least let the device on the port communicate with more than one VLAN. I have a 2960 switch, but there doesn't seem to be any support for this on this model. Am I correct in assuming that I need a layer 3 switch like the 3560 to do this?

Thanks for any information.

9 Replies 9

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Would trunking work for your specific needs?

Steve

Well, I know that when you place a port into trunk mode in belongs to all VLANs on that switch by default. I did try that as a desparate attempt to get communication going through the port. But I assume that the trunking mode setting on a switchport makes it impossible for communication with a host device. I read a document on the old 2900XL switch that had a command, "switchport mode multi", that would be perfect for this situation, but does not seem to ba in the newer models. Is there any equivalent?

You would need to connect the swithcport to a device with a NIC in it that also supports trunking. There are several NICs that support 802.1q standards based trunking. Check to see if yours is capable and configure switchport as 802.1q trunk as well.

Steve

jv
Level 1
Level 1

Is the device that needs to be in 2 vlans capable of tagging frames (trunks)?

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

3650 would not support multi-vlans per port either. You need to use trunking instead. Only the XLs have the multi-vlan per port feature.

No, the device cannot handle the tags.

How would i go about configuring trunking on a port connected to a host that does not do tags? Is it even possible?

How about inter vlan routing?

Hi,

try these commands see if they are supported on your switch. I couldn't find them under the 2960 documentation, but even though they are not listed for 3550s, they are supported.

int vlan x

bridge-group 1

int vlan y

bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge

This will instruct the switch to bridge between the two vlans.

As you mentioned earlier inter-vlan routing is fine, but I don't believe routing is supported on 2950.

HTH

E.

Try configuring one native vlan on the trunk port. You can then connect the host and it will be able to communicate (as soon it belongs to that native vlan)..hope that helps

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey ,

Check this link , hope it works

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/lanswitching/showcase?case=K15937789

You cannot configure a multi-VLAN port when a trunk is configured on the switch. You must connect the multi-VLAN port only to a router or server. The switch automatically transitions to VTP transparent mode when the multi-VLAN port feature is enabled, making the VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP) disabled. No VTP configuration is required.

The multi-VLAN port feature is supported only on the Catalyst 2900 XL/3500 XL series switches. This feature is not supported on the Catalyst 4000/5000/6000 series or any other Cisco Catalyst switches.

regards

Ab

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card