cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telneting to VLAN 1 IP from another VLAN

mdelroy
Level 1
Level 1

We have VLANs defined on ports on a core 6509. Each VLAN is a separate IP subnet. Access layer switches are 3500 series switches connected to the core 6509. On the access layer switches we have been configuring interface vlan 1 with an ip address in the VLAN subnet. We have been leaving all ports on the access layer switches in VLAN 1.

As a result of leaving all ports on access layer switches in VLAN 1, we continually get VLAN mismatch errors. To do away with the VLAN mismatch errors we are considering making all ports on access layer switches members of the VLAN the switch is patched into on the core 6509. Would this prevent us from telneting to the VLAN 1 IP address from another VLAN to manage the switches?

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your 6500 has an MSFC, configure layer 3 SVI's and give an IP address to it.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/75.html#mod

The default-gateway for your access switches would be the corresponding VLAN interface IP address

Could you send the article to mcdelroy@yahoo.com? I am not able to view the article with my discussion forum user account and I don't have a support contract with cisco. Thanks. M. Delroy

Hi,

You can not transfer data from one VLAN to other VLAN until you implement intervlan routing you can do that either by using a MSFC or by an external router.

On an MSFC all you need to do is create interface VLANS corresponding to each VLAN you have and configure an IP address which would be the default-gateway for all the computers in that VLAN.

The commands would be

interface Vlan1

ip address 172.16.80.79 255.255.255.0

interface Vlan20

ip address 10.10.11.1 255.255.255.0

etc. for all the vlans in your network. If you are not clear with inter-VLAN routing and its configuration, just search on CCO and you'll get a lot of documents, even specific to the product you are using.

You should be able to access this one

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/75.html#mod

calvinie2001
Level 1
Level 1

U must be mistype vlan# between 65 and 35

check your port which vlan u located