cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update:Redudancy on supervisor Engine

sfanayei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I use currently SUP1A-2GE and MSFC vers.1 on my Cisco 6006. And I got another Supervisor Engine SUP2-2GE with MSFC2. I was wandering, if it is possible to make redundancy between Supervisor Engine above. If so, how can I get some sample configuration guides?

Bedst Regards

Shahryar

4 Replies 4

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am sorry to say that you cannot use two different models for redundancy as:

The Supervisor engine, the routing engine, and the forwarding engine models must be the same on both modules for redundancy to be supported.

For more information please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cee.shtml

Best regards,

Antonin

Tanks a lot for your respond. It was helpfull.

Bedst regards

Shahryar

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I have a story to tell about this, but it was on a Cat5500. It's an embarassing story for me, but I learned the lesson.

I happened to have a SIIG and an SIII available, so I decided to see if they would do redundancy for each other in a 5500 chassis. First thing I noticed was console error messages saying they could not synchronised because they were different models. Fair enough, I thought, I'll try pre-configuring each of them, and see if they will do redundancy anyway, and ignore the error messages. So I pre-configured each of them, and tested, pulling first one, and then the other. The switchover seemed to work perfectly. So I left both in the chassis.

A week later, the switch crashed. It seems that the process of detecting differing models and giving the warning messages ... had a memory leak!

The moral of the story ... if they say you cannot do it, don't try it on a live network.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Tanks a lot for your respond. It was helpfull.

Bedst regards

Shahryar