Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN question in global configuration mode

addylamlappun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gurus,

I am new to Catalyst LAN Switching area, so your patient education will be extremely valuable and appreciated.

I have a WS3524-XL-EN running c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.1-XP.bin software. I read that VLANs can be configured in Database mode and Global Configuration mode. Database mode is working fine, but in Global configuration mode, there is no 'vlan' command. Does it mean that my 3524 does not support vlan configuration in global config mode? Do I run a different image to enable vlan support in global config mode? Is one mode better or more flexible than the other? Please advise.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vlans can be configured in global mode only in IOS 12.1 and later. XLs cannot run 12.1 and hence you need to use VLAN database. Switches such as 2950, 3550, 3750, 4500, 6500 support VLAN configuration from global config mode.

Hope this helps.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Once you define your VLANs in the database (and verify they are active) then you would go to the interfaces and do a "switchport access vlan X" command to put it in the correct VLAN.

By default, all ports are in VLAN 1 (the default "Native" VLAN).

On some version of IOS, you can configure a group of interfaces at once with a "interface range" command. Once you define the group, you can do a spanning-tree portfast and switchport access VLAN XX command s (as desired).

There are a number of configuration examples on the main Cisco site - just search for "configuration .

Good Luck

Scott

3524 does not support "interface range " command.

Regards...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card