cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans on Catalyst 3550 24EMI not working

agavilanes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 3550 24 EMI with thee vlans they are VLAN1, VLAN239, and VLAN307. The only vlan that works is VLAN239. I am able to ping the interface but not the other ones The only vlan Down is VLAN1. Is there any reason why the vlan dont change to up. The version is Version 12.1(19)EA1c Please let me know what I can do to fix this. thank u for your help.

6 Replies 6

ppoulin
Level 1
Level 1

Yes and I have both interfaces on no shut.

Check the IP routing is enabled in global config

and ensure all required VLANS are not in shutdoen state by issuing no shut for each one.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to have atleast one device in the VLAN for it to be up/up(it will be down otherwise due to auto state). Check to see if you have any devices in VLAN 1. Also, make sure you create VLAN

pjosefson
Level 1
Level 1

1. Use "show sdm prefer" to check what SDM template you're running. Has to be "routing" or "routing extended-match" (the latter only necessary for policy routing). This does *not* show in config, and requires a reload to take effect. What it does is optimizes the switching hardware memory for making layer 3 decisions.

2. Check that you have "ip routing" in the config. It activates routing, and will complain if you missed step 1.

3. Use "show vlan" to check that the VLANs exist in the VLAN database. As you probably run VTP in server mode by default, you don't see the VLANs in the config (the "interface VLAN ..." commands are virtual interfaces - it's quite possible to have those without having the VLANs themselves configured - reason for IOS to allow that is probably to not make us go AARGH by killing the layer 3 config when VTP accidentaly kills a VLAN). To create a VLAN just use "vlan 123" in config mode.

4. You *don't* have to have anything connected to any of the VLANs (at least not on the 3750 - it may be the case with 3550). As soon as you define a layer 3 interface for the VLAN ("interface vlan..."), it should become active and respond to pings.

5. This is basic, but easy to forget in the middle of an IOS config job: Check that you have the address of the switch in *your* VLAN as your default gateway when testing (if you're testing from a workstation in a VLAN - I suspect you may be in VLAN239 and that this may be the problem, as that VLAN works), otherwise, it won't know where to find them.

I do both regular and policy-based routing on 3550's and 3750's, and it usually works like magic. However, step 3 above often gets missed, which is usually hard to notice (when you use VTP) as it doesn't show in the config.

hth

pjosefson
Level 1
Level 1

Addendum to my latest post: Take my statement that you don't need to have anything connected to the VLAN as a guess. I just realized I have never tested that without having at least one port (or trunk) up and running on that VLAN (or in the case of a trunk - with the VLAN in the allowed list).

/Peter