cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where to find infomation about how to config routing on 6509 ?

henrybb
Level 1
Level 1

Version 12.2(17a)SX3 is one of IOS version of 6509. I can't find the information about how to config routing on 6509. I know most of config command is same with 12.2 T. But where to find the difference between 12.2(17a)SX3 and 12.2T? There is detail information for 12.2T but there isn't for 12.2(17a)SX3.

For example,I can't find which ios version of 6509 support command "ip route ... track" .

thanks!

7 Replies 7

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

This is the link for SX train docs which includes also your 17a release:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/index.htm

There is a section about new features but I am affraid that to make a comparison with T train you must look at both.

I have not been over "ip route ... track" command so far. Should you mean "track ip route" command that one has been introduced in 12.2(15)T version and to my knowledge it is not supported in SX train (we are curently using 17dSXB3 and 18SXD and certainly not supported here).

Best regards,

Antonin

thanks for your reply.

I can't find information at given url. There isn't any config guide or reference about routing. You tell me to make a comparison with T train.But In SX train docs ,there isn't anything about routing configuraiton. I don't know why cisco don't mention this on 6509 ios document.

I don't know why you know "we are curently using 17dSXB3 and 18SXD and certainly not supported here".I guess you config "track ip route" on your 65 so you know your ios don't support this.But if I don't have the latest ios,how did I know whether ios support this ?

So my question is where to find routing configuration document for special 6509 ios version.

thanks!

Hi,

I am sorry you feel so frustrated.

I have expected you are somewhat familiar with the Cisco IOS roadmap and documentation which was obviously my fault.

The general rule is that there is a main release train and then "special" release trains (coded with further letters. Also the general rule is that unless explicitly stated within release notes the "general" functionality and documentation remains unchanged.

Plese see the 12.2 IOS roadmap at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_tech_note09186a00800afdb6.shtml

There you will also find the link to Cisco IOS Software Reference Guide which is worth to read.

So back to your question:

What you cannot find for the SX train (not SX specific) you look in T train (T specific) and further in the main train (12.2) documentation. I hope you will find quite a lot about routing configuration.

My remark about our current SX versions pointed to the fact that documentation is sometimes not exactly up-to dated (sorry to say, but that is my personal experience) so for me to be 100% sure I always prefer to check (if possible). But perhaps I am too much suspicious.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

thanks ,I got the answer.After read Cisco IOS Reference Guide,there is another question.

I can't understand what is the relationship between different ios train . I know mainline trains, such as 12.2, are built from previous generation T trains, such as 12.1T. How about other trains like E train or S train ? Are mainline trains built from previous generation E train or S train or other train ? Cisco IOS Reference Guide said mainline trains, such as 12.2, are parents of other trains, such as 12.2T. I don't know whether mainline trains are parents of S train or E train.If it is, what is the relationship between 12.1S and 12.2S ?

I guess the flowchart: (all 12.1 train plus all 12.1 special release plus 12.2 mainline)--->12.2T <--> all other train except mainline train.Am I right ?

I can't understand what is the relationship between maintenance releases of different train.For example,is 12.2.17a-SX parent of 12.2.15T9 ?

thanks!

Hi,

I am sorry to say I am not able to provide the general rule for the every possible release connections. There are rules and there are exceptions.

I believe that the safe statement is that E and S trains are based no main releases but can incorporate some features from other (previous) trains. I am affraid the best way is to look at release notes.

Let us take an example of 12.2S release:

Cisco IOS Release 12.2S is based on Cisco IOS Release 12.2 and is tailored for service provider and large-scale enterprise networks. Cisco IOS Release 12.2S includes features that were initially supported in Cisco IOS Release 12.2. Additionally, Cisco IOS Release 12.2S integrates features from Cisco IOS Release 12.0S, Release 12.0ST, and Release 12.1E.

Let us take another example for 12.1E:

Release 12.1E is an early deployment release based on Release 12.1. All features and functionality in Release 12.1(26) and earlier 12.1E releases are in Release 12.1(26)E.

To my experience some features of E or S train can be incorporated into next main release or these can continue to be separated.

Some feature releases may be based no T train rather then main train as you see from the document I have posted previously.

I am almost sure that there is no direct connection between 12.2.17a-SX and 12.2.15T9 in the sense that one would be parent of another. I believe that these feature trains within the main release (ie. 12.2) live their own lifes.

Also as for the relation of main and T train, the safe statement can be as follows:

The main train (eg.12.2) consolidates the functionality of previous T train (12.1T) and (current) T train (12.2.T) is based on (current) main train (12.2) nad unlike the (current) main train the T train will integrate new features with maintenace releases.

I hope that this helps a bit.

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

I have just noticed I made typo in my previous post which may be misleading. The second sentence should read:

I believe that the safe statement is that E and S trains are based ON main releases but can (also) incorporate some features from other (previous) trains.

Best regards,

Antonin

Antonin,

thanks very much. Your post solved my problem.

thanks!