Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001 Licence Activation

c-davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Try as I might I cant find a document that says;

"How to activate encryption on an ASR 1001" or "activating ip advanced features" on the ASR 1001.

Can anyone help please. My Kit list.

Cisco ASR1001 System,Crypto, 4 built-in GE, Dual P/S        

Cisco ASR1001 4GB DRAM                                        

Cisco ASR 1000 Advanced IP Services License                                   

Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE - ENCRYPTION UNIVERSAL                        

IPSEC License for ASR1000 Series                                             

Upgrade from 2.5 Gbps to 5Gbps License for ASR 1001                            

Whats the process to activate the 2.5gbps to 5gbps feature or encryption?

Thanks

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris,

All Cisco ASR 1000 feature licenses are honor-based; that is, they are not enforced through a Product Activation Key (PAK) with the exception of the "technology package licenses" and the performance upgrade license (from 2.5 to 5 Gbps) on the Cisco ASR 1001 models.

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/product_bulletin_c07-448862.html)

Q. What are the key new items introduced with the Cisco ASR 1001 chassis compared to the other ASR 1000 Series routers?

A. The Cisco ASR 1001 Series introduces the concept of the integrated daughter card (IDC) which is a non-field upgradeable component on the ASR 1001 chassis to provide enhanced (I/O) capabilities. At the time of first customer ship (FCS), the Cisco ASR 1001 comes in 3 different versions: The ASR 1001 base chassis (Part number ASR1001), the ASR1001-2XOC3POS chassis with an integrated daughter card with 2 OC3 POS ports and the ASR1001-4XT3 with an integrated daughter card with 4 T3 ports. The second phase of the ASR 1001 launched a further 3 chassis: the ASR1001-HDD with built in 160GB hard drive; the ASR1001-4X1GE with an integrated daughter card providing 4 1GE ports; and the ASR1001-8XCHT1E1 with an integrated daughter card providing 8 channelized T1/E1 ports. Further, the Cisco ASR 1001 is the first chassis of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series which implements the software activation which is the same software activation concept as seen on other Cisco offerings, e.g. on the Cisco ISR G2 router Series. At FCS, 2 different type of licenses will be enforced via software activation. Firstly, the feature sets offered through the IP Base (K9 and non-K9), Advanced IP Services (K9 and non-K9) and Advanced Enterprise Services (K9 and non-K9). Secondly, the upgrade from the default performance of 2.5-Gbps to 5-Gbps can be accomplished via a software activated performance upgrade license (part number to be used at time of ordering any of the three ASR1001 chassis for the performance upgrade to 5-Gbps is FLS-ASR1001-5G). Other functionality such as firewall, encryption is planned to be software activated on the ASR 1001 in the future.

How to activate a license once you have a PAK (Product Authorization Key):

1. Go to www.cisco.com/go/license

2. Type the PAK you received on the form and submit it;

3. Activate the license on the ASR1000.

FAQ on https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/jsp/Cisco%20Licensing%20FAQ%20-%20June%202011.pdf

For software activation commands, go to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html

HTH.

Cheers, Gustavo

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Andre Gustavo Albuquerque
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

The ASR1000 feature licensing is explained on the document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/product_bulletin_c25-448292.html

You can also find this information on the product datasheet at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-447652.html

Regarding IPSec and Bandwidth licenses on ASR1K, see below and excerpt from datasheet:

Cisco ASR1001 Feature Licenses: Enforced with PAK

FLSASR1001-5G

Upgrade from 2.5 Gbps to 5Gbps License for ASR 1001

FLSASR1001-5G=

Upgrade from 2.5 Gbps to 5Gbps Paper PAK for ASR 1001

L-FLSASR1001-5G=

Upgrade from 2.5 Gbps to 5Gbps E-Delivery PAK for ASR 1001

Security

FLSASR1-IPSEC

IPSEC License for ASR1000 Series

FL-ASR1-IPSEC=

IPSEC Paper PAK for ASR1000 Series

L-FL-ASR1-IPSEC=

IPSEC E-Delivery PAK for ASR1000 Series

Cheers, Gustavo

Thanks very much, that sums up what I have found however I am back to the same question. I understand the licencing I think, so how when faced with a console do you enable such features OR do you buy the kit with the feature enabled depending on the part number. If this is the case my customer has been shipped the wrong kit and I need to go and enable the featureset.

I presume with the kit a licence pack contains a key?

I activate the key on the device, somehow but Cisco's documentation is all very high level and goes round in circles.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

All Cisco ASR 1000 feature licenses are honor-based; that is, they are not enforced through a Product Activation Key (PAK) with the exception of the "technology package licenses" and the performance upgrade license (from 2.5 to 5 Gbps) on the Cisco ASR 1001 models.

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/product_bulletin_c07-448862.html)

Q. What are the key new items introduced with the Cisco ASR 1001 chassis compared to the other ASR 1000 Series routers?

A. The Cisco ASR 1001 Series introduces the concept of the integrated daughter card (IDC) which is a non-field upgradeable component on the ASR 1001 chassis to provide enhanced (I/O) capabilities. At the time of first customer ship (FCS), the Cisco ASR 1001 comes in 3 different versions: The ASR 1001 base chassis (Part number ASR1001), the ASR1001-2XOC3POS chassis with an integrated daughter card with 2 OC3 POS ports and the ASR1001-4XT3 with an integrated daughter card with 4 T3 ports. The second phase of the ASR 1001 launched a further 3 chassis: the ASR1001-HDD with built in 160GB hard drive; the ASR1001-4X1GE with an integrated daughter card providing 4 1GE ports; and the ASR1001-8XCHT1E1 with an integrated daughter card providing 8 channelized T1/E1 ports. Further, the Cisco ASR 1001 is the first chassis of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series which implements the software activation which is the same software activation concept as seen on other Cisco offerings, e.g. on the Cisco ISR G2 router Series. At FCS, 2 different type of licenses will be enforced via software activation. Firstly, the feature sets offered through the IP Base (K9 and non-K9), Advanced IP Services (K9 and non-K9) and Advanced Enterprise Services (K9 and non-K9). Secondly, the upgrade from the default performance of 2.5-Gbps to 5-Gbps can be accomplished via a software activated performance upgrade license (part number to be used at time of ordering any of the three ASR1001 chassis for the performance upgrade to 5-Gbps is FLS-ASR1001-5G). Other functionality such as firewall, encryption is planned to be software activated on the ASR 1001 in the future.

How to activate a license once you have a PAK (Product Authorization Key):

1. Go to www.cisco.com/go/license

2. Type the PAK you received on the form and submit it;

3. Activate the license on the ASR1000.

FAQ on https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/jsp/Cisco%20Licensing%20FAQ%20-%20June%202011.pdf

For software activation commands, go to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html

HTH.

Cheers, Gustavo

Thanks, so in summery;

Customer should have the PAK code sent to them, I suspect in a large sealed pack I haven seen and ignored

Register the PAK code @ www.cisco.com/go/license

Hopefully within an hour you should get a URL or the actual .LIC file in email registered to your cco account.

Make the .lic file reachable on a tftp server.

issue the commands on the IOS 'box' example - license install tftp://192.168.1.1/the-licence-file.lic

Save the licence - license save flash:all_licenses.lic

Some commands to check the licence;

show license udi

show license file

show license detail

show license status

show license statistics

Something like that, just preparing for my first on an ASR1001, doesnt seam that differant to the ASA's I mess with.

Cheers everyone!

hi thanks for the information , in below case do i need PAK to enable throughput feature
License Level: adventerprise
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: adventerprise

Index 31 Feature: throughput_20g
Period left: Not Activated
Period Used: 0 minute 0 second
License Type: EvalRightToUse
License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: None

OR i can do it with PLATFORM HARDWARE THROUGHPUT LEVEL 20 command ?

I can't find anything related to my problem and this is the closest thing to it. My Problem is that I bought an ASR-1001 Aggregation Router from Newegg to do MPLS for studying for CCIE, but it didn't include IOS on the Router. Therefore I can't do anything useful with it either, but I know it works because it boots to rommon or recovery console or whatever it's called. Cisco just told me to go to this community forum, but it won't let me post my question and it just lets me view other people posts to see if I can find a match. I think it's dumb to because I can't find a match and they expect me to search through all the posts matching my question, which is "How Do I get IOS for my Cisco ASR1001? and I could be looking for years on here trying to search through all these questions! No Thank you Cisco and go screw yourselves because that's what you did to me.

c-davies
Level 1
Level 1

After all that it turned out to be nothing to do with licencing but to enable encryption a 'k9' IOS had to be loaded on the ASR.

ELENA OKULOVA
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

Ordering Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router Software: Cisco ASR 1001/ASR 1002-X Software

With the Cisco ASR 1001 and ASR 1002-X, the concept of a universal software image in combination with a technology package license to enforce a certain feature set by software activation, that is, with a PAK, has been introduced. However, for ASR 1001, as of Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.6S, technology package licenses, and as of 3.7S, performance upgrade license to upgrade from 2.5 to 5 Gbps, are both honor-based. For ASR 1002-X, both technology package licenses and performance upgrade licenses are honor-based.

In summary:

• A PAK or license key enforces two types of licenses on the Cisco ASR 1001 prior to IOS XE release 3.6S:

– Technology package licenses (feature set licenses); part numbers and descriptions follow:

– SLASR1-IPB: Cisco ASR 1000 IP Base license

– SLASR1-AIS: Cisco ASR 1000 Advanced IP Services license

– SLASR1-AES: Cisco ASR 1000 Advanced Enterprise Services license

– Performance Upgrade license; part number FLS-ASR1001-5G to upgrade from 2.5 to 5 Gbps

• To enable a certain feature set on the Cisco ASR 1001 or ASR 1002-X, you must order a universal image in combination with a technology package license.

Note: As of IOS XE 3.7S, the technology package licenses, the performance upgrade licenses, and all other licenses required for certain features on the Cisco ASR 1001 and ASR 1002-X are not enforced.

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
You should also be able to boot in the evaluation license until you get the pak code.
Rob
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: