cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Cisco FAQ] - Gainmaker Amplifiers and Line Extender

mentrej
Level 1
Level 1

What should the input level be for Gainmaker Amplifiers and Line Extender?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeffrey Woo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

:  Input level will vary, the important level to worry about is the output level because that level can be control with input plugin attenuators.  Need to know the gain of the amplifier before you can select the plugin attenuator.  For example if the gain of the amplifier is 40dB and you are trying to achieve a output level of 50 dbmv, therefore the input level has to be at least 10 dbmv, levels are referenced to the highest frequency of the signals in the bandwidth.  If the input level is above 10 dbmv, we can use the correct value plugin attenuator to achieve the desire 50 dbmv output level.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jeffrey Woo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

:  Input level will vary, the important level to worry about is the output level because that level can be control with input plugin attenuators.  Need to know the gain of the amplifier before you can select the plugin attenuator.  For example if the gain of the amplifier is 40dB and you are trying to achieve a output level of 50 dbmv, therefore the input level has to be at least 10 dbmv, levels are referenced to the highest frequency of the signals in the bandwidth.  If the input level is above 10 dbmv, we can use the correct value plugin attenuator to achieve the desire 50 dbmv output level.

Actually to answer the question you don't want your input level to be over 16db or under 5db.  If your input is too hot just put the correct value pad in the extender.  I had this issue just last week and it took hours for me to figure it out because cisco "tech support" was unwilling to give me just 5min of their time over the phone.  I even asked them how much it would cost me to get 5min of tech support and still no one here could help...  Tim 916.825.1986 if someone from Cisco could please give me a call I still have an issue with a few GMLE in the field.