Views
Helpful
Replies

how to: AP static IP assignment

user25
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

i am tasked to assign static IPs to 29 APs. the setup is flexconnect but client wants that the APs are configured with static IPs (incuding gateway) first before they join the WLC. APs are already mounted so console-ing them one by one will take time. is there a way to configure them all at once? since the 29 APs are connected to a 9407 switch, can I have the APs get their IPs via dhcp instead? there are specific APs that needs specific static IPs so i am thinking using the hardware-address command in the dhcp pool so i could assign IPs to their respective AP. what will be the dhcp configuration for this? thanks.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

List all 29 AP MAC Addresses, make DHCP reservations for them to get a static IP address. ( Hope they all belong to same VLAN, if not change the DHCP Address based on the VLAN and Reservation).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hi balaji thanks for the response. do i have to configure dhcp option 43 or its just the usual dhcp pool config? and also, how will i point them to the WLC? i mean since the APs will constantly find the WLC. no WLC involved yet on this, the client wants me to assign static IP only 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you need Option in the DHCP Scope option for the AP to detect WLC

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card