Helpful
Replies

Insufficient Client Resources in VSOM

anthic.lobo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We get this message while accessing the 5011 HD camera via the VSOM 6.3

The client accessing the VSOM has the below configurations.

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Business PC

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500 Processor (2.80-GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz FSB)

6GB RAM,500-GB SATA HDD,

Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 Graphics Card

Windows 7Professional  64bit

HP 17'' 1711 LCD Monitor

While accessing the SD camera it works fine.

Is this problem specific to the new VSM 6.3

What could resolve the problem?

7 Replies 7

Cory Blackman
Level 1
Level 1

I have similar issues when the client's VRAM or GPU is too weak.  Intel video is not very strong, but it may be something else.  Also why 6.3.0?  Why not move to 6.3.1 or 6.3.2 (coming out soon)?  It could very well help.  Good luck!

jfiranzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Cory's suggestion is spot on.  The client PC likely cannot render the video for HD streams because the graphics card is a

Integrated  Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 Graphics Card

Intel graphics cards integrated as part of a motherboard solution do not have the horsepower to display HD video.

Here is a link to the Video Surveillance Monitoring Workstation Performance Baseline Specification Document version 3.0, updated March 2011

For future dedicated VSOM or VSVM Client PC purchases, you may want to consider the following option from the Release Notes for VSM 6.3.1:

New Client PC Workstation Available

Cisco offers a client PC Workstation, Cisco part number CPS-WORKSTATION,  which is a Solutions Plus of Dell T5500. This workstation includes the  Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and is compatible with VSM 6.3.1.  Be aware that if you want to use an earlier version of VSM with this  workstation, you must obtain the Microsoft Windows XP operating system  and install it on the workstation.

The Workstation Profile Tool determines how many video streams can  play on a workstation. To use, download and extract the entire ZIP file,  and see the README. Requires VSM 4.2/6.2 video client.

There has  not yet been a new Profiler Tool created for VSM 6.3 or above, but the 4.2/6.2 version works fine and  may be downloaded from this url:

http://www.ciscoet.com/files/519-profiler.zip

Additional  profiles may be downloaded using this link:

http://www.ciscoet.com/files/Cisco_VSM_Workstation_Profiles_files.zip

The zip  file contains 7 profiles:

H.264 HD 1080p 30 fps 4 Mbps.bwm
H.264 HD  1080p 30 fps 6 Mbps.bwm
H.264 HD 1080p 30 fps 15 Mbps.bwm
JPEG HD  4CIF 15 fps.bwm
MPEG-4 SD 4CIF 15 fps 1 Mbps.bwm
MPEG-4 SD 4CIF  7.5 fps 512 Kbps.bwm
MPEG-4 SD 4CIF 30 fps 3 Mbps.bwm
MPEG-4 SD  4CIF 30 fps 2 Mbps.bwm
MPEG-4 SD 4CIF 30 fps 3 Mbps.bwm

By loading  multiple profiles when running the Workstation Profiler Tool, you can  determine the maximum number of simultaneous feeds of a given bitrate  and streamrate (or fps in the case of JPEG) which your PC can dispay.

A new version of the profiler tool is roadmapped to be released later this summer for VSM 6.3.2.  Since your environment already contains Windows 7 machines, you may want to upgrade to VSM 6.3.1 which supports Windows 7-64 and IE8.

I hope that helps,

Jim

Message was edited by: jfiranzi to add a link to the Video Surveillance Monitoring Workstation Performance Baseline Specification Document version 3.0

I'm also receiving "Insufficient Client Resources" from multiple computers and I anticipate it's a network bandwidth issue.

The profiler gauges the video subsystem, but are there testing tools or mimimum requirements dcoumented for bandwidth?  Or is there a log file that contains useful information regarding which client resource is insufficient?

One of our client systems that's failing seems like it should have no problem running a single low-res feed:

• Core i7 8 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GT330 (4GB)
  • Gig Ethernet

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Cody

Hi,

There is no real tool that will tell you what bandwidth you need.

The recommended and supported setup is that the client is connected to the server via a 1Gb link.

This is becoming more inportant now that the there is alot of HD endpoints.

There is the ims.log file that you can look at. This will give you a good indication if there are any bandwidth or client performance problems on your setup.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike,

After further investigation, it appears we are using a NAT'd IP to access the VSOM server and this may be the problem.

Do you know if there is any way to run VSOM using a NAT'd IP?  E.g., accessing the VSOM server via a (public) IP while the cameras are on another (private) network?

-Cody

Hi Cody,

A colleague of mine wrote a document titled Using VSM with NAT.

( https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16335 )

Using NAT should not cause an insufficient client resources message.  Have you run the profiler tool to qualify your client workstation (the PC with the Nvidia card?)  What operating system is installed, and what version of IE? Try viewing a single SD feed with nothing else running on that PC after a clean boot, and check the IMS log to see if during your test there are reported errors pushing video to the desktop.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks Jim.  We will give that configuration a shot (we are currently using IPs).

I agree the "insufficient client resources" error doesn't seem appropriate, but it's occuring consistently across 6+ computers when we try to connect to the NAT IP, including at least one high end client (16GB, 8CPUS, 2GB VRAM) that was succesfully tested via the profiler.  We used wireshark to view the packets and the client is attempting to access the inaccesible private IPs for the cameras.

I'll confirm if the "insufficient client resources" error goes away on the same computers using the DNS method per the document and let you know the results.

-Cody