cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical Security of Wireless Access Points

RBenke
Level 1
Level 1

I need to deploy Cisco wireless APs in eight campus cottages, each of which houses up to three students.

I'm concerned about the physical security of the APs, as there's no place to put them that the students can't stand on a chair and reach them.

I realize I can't prevent theft by someone who's determined, but that doesn't mean I need to make it easy.

What do other admins do to secure their APs from theft, without impeding the wireless signal?

5 Replies 5

Put them inside of electrical PVC or polycarbonate enclosers, and then lock the enclosure.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No one can gaurantee for the physcal theft . only you can mount the AP where you feeel secure.

In Public environment most of the time secured with CCTV access 24/7, so some one can steal have heavy penalised with fines or some country jailed them also.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Tell them that if the students vandalize any of the APs, you'll DoS them.
That's what we did after one of our AP was "stolen". After this warning, it was returned and no-questions-asked.

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

I am from a medium sized university. In some of our residence halls we use lockable AP enclosure boxes. They are built for specific AP's and fit nicely in them. After the box is mounted to the wall/ceiling you mount the AP like like you normally would and then lock the box. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

HCEN with ID 3702l.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: