cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing VLAN or adding a new VLAN on a RV-325

rdk_cisco1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV-325 with a basic one VLAN (default) configuration - 10.0.15.1.  I use this router to VPN into other sites/locations to access resources and transfer data.  It is working fine, until we tried to access a new site which, my luck, is using the same LAN subnet address (10.0.15.1).  The VPN connection works but all my local devices are no longer available.

To set my experience level, very basic.  I did not configure this unit so, since it is working, I'm VERY hesitant to modify the configuration.  That said, it would appear that I need to add a "non-overlapping" subnet to my router where I can put all of the devices which need to be available when using the VPN.  Is this correct??

If this is correct, how do I go about adding a new subnet, say 10.0.25.1, to the router and how do I get the required devices connected to that subnet?  Will all of the RV325 LAN ports be servicing both subnets or do I have to specify a particular port and attach it to a switch. And, will they be available when connected via the VPN to that site?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.....RDK

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the prompt reply and your ideas.  I will have to schedule this change so it may be a week or so before I can report back....RDK

Flavio...29 April 2022 - For the past 30 minutes I have been trying to post a reply to this thread, but each time I click on the reply button it takes me to another window exactly like the one I'm in and no reply window opens.  So I have selected to edit my last reply.

We just did as you suggested and it worked, but there were a few unexpected events or lack of events.  First when I changed the IPaddress range, etc in the DHCP section and clicked the save button, a messages displayed something like this: "your screen will stop responding for a while while the router reboots and may automatically get the new address".  Except from our point nothing seemed to happen to the router (all lights going off, etc) or the the attached PC.  So it was not obvious that anything was happening. Finally I rebooted the connected PC and opened the Router's configuration web page to the new address and all the addresses had been updated.  The other thing we were not expecting, but perhaps should have known, was that all attached devices had to be rebooted to trigger DHCP assigning the new IP address.

But, aside from these observations, the changes worked and we have now tested the access to the site which had the conflicting subnet address. Thanks for your help....RDK

View solution in original post

Flavio...On 29 April 2022 I tried to post a comment on the SUCCESSFUL process for changing the network address for our rv325 router.  It basically proceeded as you said it would.  Since it would not let me reply at that time I added my comments to a previous reply.  I will not repeat them here, but will repeat our thanks for your assistance....RDK 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

This is quite easy if you can change the addressing from your side. 

You just need to  change the DHCP config to deliver a different Ip address range to your machines.

Refers to the video below. The answer for your question will be at 1:42 minutes of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_RaHMlZCQ 

OK, sounds easy.  But I have some questions:

1. If I don't like what I done, can I restore completely all of the settings from a backup?

2. Will this process update all of the old subnet IP addresses (ie 10.0.15.1) to the new one, for example 10.0.21.1)?  ie:

IP & MAC Binding? Forwarding? Port Address Translation? VPN? etc?

Of course I will have to manually change IP address for devices configured with static address.

Any other potential issues?

Thanks....RDK

1 If you backup before change, then Yes, you Restore 

2 Yes 

For port  forwarding, if you have static IP, you need to edit the current IP to New one

Thanks for the prompt reply and your ideas.  I will have to schedule this change so it may be a week or so before I can report back....RDK

Flavio...29 April 2022 - For the past 30 minutes I have been trying to post a reply to this thread, but each time I click on the reply button it takes me to another window exactly like the one I'm in and no reply window opens.  So I have selected to edit my last reply.

We just did as you suggested and it worked, but there were a few unexpected events or lack of events.  First when I changed the IPaddress range, etc in the DHCP section and clicked the save button, a messages displayed something like this: "your screen will stop responding for a while while the router reboots and may automatically get the new address".  Except from our point nothing seemed to happen to the router (all lights going off, etc) or the the attached PC.  So it was not obvious that anything was happening. Finally I rebooted the connected PC and opened the Router's configuration web page to the new address and all the addresses had been updated.  The other thing we were not expecting, but perhaps should have known, was that all attached devices had to be rebooted to trigger DHCP assigning the new IP address.

But, aside from these observations, the changes worked and we have now tested the access to the site which had the conflicting subnet address. Thanks for your help....RDK

Flavio...On 29 April 2022 I tried to post a comment on the SUCCESSFUL process for changing the network address for our rv325 router.  It basically proceeded as you said it would.  Since it would not let me reply at that time I added my comments to a previous reply.  I will not repeat them here, but will repeat our thanks for your assistance....RDK 

Flavio.......Everything seems to be working since we changed the router's IP subnet, EXCEPT...

The RV-325, as you know, is a dual WAN router.  Before the change, FTP traffic FROM one of our Windows servers to the internet was always routed via a specific WAN port (and ISP), for example WAN1.  Now that traffic seems to be going out over either WAN port, or at least not always over WAN1 and the target FTP server is rejecting it since the IP address is not the one allowed or associated with WAN1 by the security setup on the receiving FTP server.

The WAN1 port is associated with a low speed, static IP address ISP-A modem and the WAN2 port is associated with a high speed, non-static IP address ISP-B modem.  We need to have this FTP traffic using the static address WAN port.

We've looked through the setup and have not found where and how this was setup before the subnet change on the router.  Can you assist?...RDK