Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Blocked Clients

bhochstrasser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I have a Cisco RV220W, 2 QNAP NAS and some Macs. Basically, everything works good, but one NAS has a problem with the DNS server. Both NAS are configured identically and have the same DNS address configured. But the one from both NAS can not resolve names. I tried to change the DNS addresses, but also with others it does not. Then I connected the NAS directly to my cable modem and than it works. The Support from the NAS manufacturer and my logic say me, the problem must be on the firewall. Than i have reconfigured the RV220W everything to factory settings, but it did not help. What I noticed is, i can see on FVR 220W all devices listed, but not the one NAS, the other one i can see it.

My first question is this: it may be that the NAS is blocked by a firewall? I do not have MAC filtering enabled. If so, how can i unblocking the device on the RV 220W? I do not understand, it does not make sense, the devices in the LAN are blocked.

tnx

3 Replies 3

Kremena Ivanova
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Firewall rules are applied on the WAN-LAN trafic and vice versa. Is the NAS configured with a staic IP address. What is happening if you leave it to obtain an IP from RV220?

Also, are you using VLANs in your network?

Regards,

Kremena

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is even if I give the machine a different IP address. No I have not configured VLAN. I gathered that the firewall on the LAN no devices blocked. Would be quite unusual, but I still have a little suspicion. The NAS has tried by UPNP on the firewall access to configure the NAT. Can it be that the NAS can be blocked for it? With the other NAS I have done that and there it worked.

Regards

Beat

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Here's what I would try to verify that the firewall is the issue.  Set up a DMZ and put the NAS in the DMZ.  If you don't need any firewall protection for the NAS, you can just leave it here.  Otherwise, you're going to have to figure out what ports need to be forwarded/unblocked and manually set everything up.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com