cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Need help sharing Printer on "Guest Network" and Private network

Danny Yehya
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured 2 VLANs 1 for internal and one for "guest" access each with their own Wifi Access Point.

I would like a few IPs from the internal network available to the guest network such as the network printer.

The Internal network is 10.10.10.x (Vlan1) Enabled Inter-vlan communication

The Guest network is 192.168.2.x (Vlan4) Disabled inter-vlan

Both networks have the same subnet mask.

For example, one server I want accessble to VLAN 4 would be 10.10.10.13 and the printer is 10.10.10.176

I am not sure how this can be achieved with RV220W. I thought about setting up a 3rd VLAN but am not sure how to only share that with VLAN4 without enabling inter-VLAN communication opening the guest up to the internal traffic. Please advise if I should change subnets or what the best course of action would be in this situation.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Danny;

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

My suggestion would be to set a third (e.g Guest2) with the allowed to print users, and a fourth SSID (e.g Printers) so you can have the guest users not allowed to print (VLAN4) isolated from the rest and inter VLAN communication enabled among the other three VLAN's.

I see no other way and notice you can also contact the Small Business Support Center for further assistance;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I think the easiest thing would be to move the printers (and other IPs) to the guest network.  But then I'm not sure if the vlan1 traffic would be able to reach them.  I'm not too familiar with the enable/disable inter-vlan option.  But this would be my general approach as getting traffic from a secured side to a less secure side is a lot easier than the other way around.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Danny Yehya
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for trying to assist me. I think I found the best solution.

First I created the Isolated VLAN.

Next, I created the "Guest Wireless"

Then in the Firewall Access Rules, I created an always allow from any IP on the Guest VLAN to the Printer IP of the Main (default) VLAN. This overrides the isolation for this specific IP address in the default network.

Hopefully, this will help anyone else trying to achieve the same thing on this device.

Super!  I didn't think about using static routes.  Great solution!