cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Client VPN tunnel with Cisco RV180W and Cisco QuickVPN

nicholashaas
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the latest firmware on the RV180W (1.0.5.4). I followed the manual to setup client VPN tunnel. It explains to setup basic VPN settings: VPN/IPsec/Basic VPN Setup. There i set up the basic setting which requires I create a PSK (Pre Shared Key). I continue to follow the manual and allow Remote Management, all IP addresses on 443: Management Interface/Web Access. Lastly i create a VPN user: VPN/IPsec/VPN Users. I installed Cisco QuickVPN version 1.4.2.1 which i downloaded from the RV180W link from the Cisco website. When configuring QuickVPN i cannot enter the PSK(Pre Shared Key) which is required when setting up the router. The setup for QuickVPN are very limited and simple so i'm confident i didn't miss it.

Can anyone let me know what i'm doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

8 Replies 8

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello nicholashaas,

For clarification you are trying to enter the PSK on the QVPN client software?

Typically the QVPN client will ask for a Profile (only needed if you want to save multiple profiles as you have access to multiple networks).  VPN server address:  This is your WAN of the RV180.  Username is the Username of the user you configured for QVPN, and finally Password is the PSK/password of the user you created.  Then set the port option as Auto.

So in essence:

Username:  cisco

Password:  cisco

Server Address:  WANof180

Port for QVPN:  Auto

and the cisco/cisco username password is that of the user you created under VPN user and set for QVPN.

Make sure you are using a Windows PC as that is the only platform the QVPN client is supported on.  If you are using Win XP disable the Firewall and if you are using Win Vista or 7 enable the firewall.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

Thanks for the quick reply Michael.

I was able to connect using the quickVPN software. One of my issues was the Windows firewall needed to be turned on. My confusion earlier was the PSK option listed in the RV180W Client VPN basic setup. I was expecting to use a PSK with QuickVPN but i realize now that was incorrect. The Client VPN basic setup (and the option for PSK)  is for alternative VPN client software. Does it support Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07.0410?

Thanks

Nick

nicholashaas,

Glad everything is working for you.  In regards to your question the RV180 does not support the Cisco VPN Client.

Regards,

Michael D.

Michael, Will I be able to connect my BlackBerry 10 phones to the RV180w over VPN? Nick

nicholashass,

Using the phones PPTP options is the only way you will be able to connect to the RV180 with your phone.

Regards,

Michael

Hello nicholashaas,

I am following up to see if my posts answered your question?  If this post if helpful please rate or mark as correct.  If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Michael D.

bryandaly2272
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using dynamic dns on the router, it is necessary to use the dynamic DNS name in the server field of the quick VPN client.

JohnBecich
Level 1
Level 1

It would be helpful to others if the O.P. discloses his platform, when discussing VPN Clients.    To wit:  Cisco's QuickVPN turned out to be a fail, on Windows 10.