Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and router question

rodman.frowert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have a RV042G in my business.  It works great but I was looking for a solution that would allow me to use VPN so that I could tunnel into it and then back out onto the internet via the tunnel.  I want to have a secure way to connect to the internet from my laptop while I am traveling and would rather build my own VPN and do it myself.

As I understand it, the RV042G does not allow this and it only access to the LAN via the tunnel. What would be the next router up that would fulfill this purpose?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi rodman

These devices work very well, you can also use third party softwares not just Cisco software in order to use the VPN features. About the subscriptions, the ISA supports many other special features such Protect link and the IPS and you can have and buy a subscription in order to add these features to your device, however if you don´t want them you don´t have to buy them.

Cisco provide one of the best support, it has many options of support, it could be via chat, email or phone, it also provide free support for the users in this forum if you don´t buy a warranty

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good morning

Hi rodman, thanks for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. There are some SMB routers and firewall you could be interested, I chose some of  them for you, these devices support many VPNs including SSL VPN.

Cisco RV215W Wireless-N VPN Router

Cisco RV220W Network Security Firewall

You can see all the RV series router here

Cisco Small Business ISA500 Series Integrated Security Appliances →  * My favorite *

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Greetings,

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.  I do have a few questions about the ISA550.  I see it supports SSL VPN.  Can I use any IPSec VPN client or do I need to use a Cisco approved VPN client?  Also, what is the subscription service used for?  Is it just for web  content filtering?  If I don't need that can I choose not to renew and still use the appliance to conduct my routing/firewall/SSL VPN  needs?

Secondly, I am concerned about this review here: http://www.amazon.com/CISCO-BUSINESS-ISA550-BUN1-K9-INTEGRATED-SECURITY/product-reviews/B00AGOSYX0/ref=sr_cr_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Is this true?  Will Cisco not support me if I have a problem even if I buy through an approved vendor like Amazon?  Also, are there really lots of issues with the servers that are used in the subscription service?

Thanks!

Rodman

Hi rodman

These devices work very well, you can also use third party softwares not just Cisco software in order to use the VPN features. About the subscriptions, the ISA supports many other special features such Protect link and the IPS and you can have and buy a subscription in order to add these features to your device, however if you don´t want them you don´t have to buy them.

Cisco provide one of the best support, it has many options of support, it could be via chat, email or phone, it also provide free support for the users in this forum if you don´t buy a warranty

Greetings,

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I've actually done this before using an rv016 and rv042 setup as a gateway-to-gateway vpn, and then connected to the pptp server on the rv016 via xp's built-in pptp vpn client.  All the traffic then starting going through the rv016.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com