Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 router with Dual-WAN load-balancing

firestormnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

We've got a 1841 router with dual-WAN connection, one is Cable and it goes to Fa0/0, another one is ADSL2+ and it goes to WIC-ADSL card.

I'm trying to configure a load-balancing and failover using per-packet or per-destination connection.

I can configure "ip sla" for both connections pinging 2 different DNS IPs of 2 ISPs.

But I can't configure command "track 1 rtr 1 reachability" and "track 2 rtr 2 reachability". There is no "rtr" allowed to type there. And all examples shows that command for load-balancing.

Does anybody know what command to use for that or why I cannot use the above command?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I suppose you are running on 1841 IPbase image. It seems does not support IP SLA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_bulletin0900aecd802edc81.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

If you have valid service contract with Cisco you can download it from cisco.com.

Otherwise you need to buy a new license if I'm not wrong.

Contact with Cisco partner.

Software upgrade procedure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Alex Deiwor
Level 1
Level 1

As I know, that's not directly possible, because the ADSL WAN is a back-up from the main line.

Anyway, if you want to split the destination, may be you can use metrics to make a manual balance (thru ip route commands).

Cheers!

Hi Alex.

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment I'm using this config:

track 1 interface FastEthernet0/0 ip routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 188.1.2.3 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 10

As you can see all traffic goes to Fa0/0 port and Dialer0 is used as backup, right?

When I remove a distance 10 then Dialer0 becomes  static default route and all traffic goes to it, but I prefer to use Fa0/0 or both of them.

So I'm not sure how to setup them equal and how to test that.

Cheers,

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

track 1 ip sla 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x track 1 

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x 

By default load-sharing is done by CEF so it is per src-dst IP pair.

in IP sla configure source-interface so ping tests will always be sourced via primary path.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks to everybody for your replies.

I've been looking after that connection for last few weeks and I don't really like how it works.

If I put "ip routes" equal then ATM interface (ADSL) is loaded more then Fa0/0 interface (Cabel) and as we monitor both interfaces using SNMP monitoring the cabel connection after a while start showhing drops (it maybe a packet lost). And customer complaints about speed.

Then I add administrative distance to ADSL connection to 2, and speed is better but there is no load-balancing, right?

Is it possible to setup as 1st interface for 70% of traffic and 2nd for 30%. Or the only way is to assign a specific traffic going through specific interface.

Couldn't find any docs explaining that.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Yes, I was checking those articles before, but some commands don't exist in router

"track 123 rtr 1 reachability"

The config I use is the same as in first article, but my ADSL connection is loaded more (reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 226/255) then Cable connection (reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 13/255), but I prefer otherwise, as cable connection is faster.

And other articles are build on:

track 10 rtr 1 reachability

delay down 1 up 1

Which I can't use.

Cheers,

I suppose you are running on 1841 IPbase image. It seems does not support IP SLA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_bulletin0900aecd802edc81.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Best regards,
Abzal

Yes, it's:

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Can I just upgrade a software or I need to buy a new feature license then?

Regards,

If you have valid service contract with Cisco you can download it from cisco.com.

Otherwise you need to buy a new license if I'm not wrong.

Contact with Cisco partner.

Software upgrade procedure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Best regards,
Abzal
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card