cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1921 WAN help

grantpaules
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little confused, as i am trying to do 1:1 Nat, making it so several external IPs go to different internal ip addresses.  But my question is that what WIC card do i need to add to the 1921 if any?  I want to keep my current T1 modem and just connect it to the router though the RJ-45.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

If you feel like spending your time sitting on the phone with the service provider when troubleshooting outages, performance issues, QOS issues on your T1 modem, then use the modem. If you would rather have full control of the situation, put the HWIC into your router and plug in T1 directly.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do that, however it is better to have a native T1 interface in the router, for many reasons.

OK, so the options are:

1:   Cisco1921-T1SEC/K9

Or

2: Cisco1921/K9 with HWIC-1FE

What reasons is it better to have a native T1 inerface in the router?

Hi Grant,

Curious about your question also.  I was under the impression that an HWIC is better since an add-on card normally has additional processing capabilities which comes with the card hardware.

Because you will be able access the real transmssion interface, for reporting or configuration, without intermediate devices, and you will also have one device less to power and potentially fail.

However confirm with ISP first that they will allow you to connect your router directly to T1 circuit.

grantpaules
Level 1
Level 1

Ok ill ask them, but if that doesnt work then will i need to get the HWIC-1FE?

Also there is no WAN card builtin the router correct?

The 1921 comes with optional T1, but with two gigabit ethernet ports.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

If you feel like spending your time sitting on the phone with the service provider when troubleshooting outages, performance issues, QOS issues on your T1 modem, then use the modem. If you would rather have full control of the situation, put the HWIC into your router and plug in T1 directly.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card