cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch ping timeout or reply time is long( average more 2 sec)

pt_wang
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has various Cisco switches but only cisco 2950 switches has the problem of ping timeout or reply time is too long(average more

than 2 sec). It will cause I Network Mangement software alarm always. Anyone has this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi PT,

it seems you are describing a loop. would you check also:

a) ping TTL value

b) STP compatibility and working order

c) mistmatching port speeds (make sure everything is working on  100+Mbps Full Duplex

d) you can perform a traffic analysis with Wireshark or similar and to realise whether malformed packets are formed on this 2950

the point d is the last i am suggesting you to check. by the version you should use, i would say that the 12.2(58) is the one you want running on those machines.

hope this helps

Alessio

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

hello,

try to reload the switch and see if its same.

Check the process CPU usage. Its looks like switch process are busy and not replying to ping messages.

is you switch on lates IOS??

please rate if this helps.

thanks

1. reload the switches is same

2. The Switches CPU usage is normal (under 40% ,average)

3. The 2950 is latest version of IOS.

Hi PT,

it seems you are describing a loop. would you check also:

a) ping TTL value

b) STP compatibility and working order

c) mistmatching port speeds (make sure everything is working on  100+Mbps Full Duplex

d) you can perform a traffic analysis with Wireshark or similar and to realise whether malformed packets are formed on this 2950

the point d is the last i am suggesting you to check. by the version you should use, i would say that the 12.2(58) is the one you want running on those machines.

hope this helps

Alessio

a) ping ttl range from 400ms up to 3000ms

b) no stp problem

c) speed/duplex ok.

Only the traffic pass through  that switch is average about 1700 packets/sec.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card