cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 T1's Bound to a Multilink

Dan Loring
Level 1
Level 1

I want to remove a policy from a multilink and 3 T1's.  What would be the best practice/commands to use to shut them down make changes and then start them back up to test before writing the config?  Would the following work/be the safest/best practice?

#Shut multilink1

#Shut serial1

#Shut serial2

#Shut serial3

Make config Changes

#No shut serial1

#No shut serial2

#No shut serial3

#No shut multilink1

??????????

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need to shut down your WAN links to remove the service-policy command.

You simply go into configuration mode -> sub-interface mode -> copy the service-policy command and append a no to it.

View solution in original post

show log will contain all the information you need.

Since you rebooted it the router, that information is now gone.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What type of policies are you changing?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

These are the changes that I want to make.

#config t
(config)#interface Multilink1
(config-if)#no max-reserved-bandwidth 100
(config-if)#no service-policy output 25_74
(config-if)#exit

(config)#interface serial 0/1/0:1
(config-if)#fair-queue
(config-if)#exit

(config)#interface serial 0/0/1:1
(config-if)#fair-queue
(config-if)#exit

(config)#interface serial 0/0/0:1
(config-if)#fair-queue
(config-if)#exit

In addition to what Edison said, I don’t believe you’ll need fair-queue on the physical interface if you’re queuing in your policy on the MLP interface. But you don’t need to shut your interface down to make these changes.

HTH,

John

Hi John,

Hope you are doing well!

This is part II from a long thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2133115?tstart=0

He is removing QoS from this router because it wasn't configured properly. I told him the only thing his previous QoS config was doing was changing the queuing from FIFO to FQ for class class-default. He wants to mimic that section w/o having a service-policy.

FQ is often recommended for slow speed links such as T1s.

Hi Edison! ☺ I hope you’re doing well!

Ah, I see what he’s doing now….

Thanks!

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need to shut down your WAN links to remove the service-policy command.

You simply go into configuration mode -> sub-interface mode -> copy the service-policy command and append a no to it.

I did that and the whole Multilink came down, it was during production so I just restarted the router to get the previous running config back, because I had 8 remote locations calling me.

Please post the 'show version' output. There are some bugs floating around that can crash the router while removing a service-policy.

That shouldn’t have happened…what router and IOS version are you on? I did that one time on a 3745 to remove netflow on an interface and it locked the router up. I had to update the IOS because of a known problem.

MPLS#show version
Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(15)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 28-Apr-09 13:10 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

KamcoMPLS uptime is 20 hours, 3 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 15:41:44 EST Wed Feb 22 2012
System image file is "flash:c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-15.T9.bin"

Cisco 2821 (revision 53.50) with 251904K/10240K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1333AJ6X
2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
3 Serial interfaces
4 Channelized T1/PRI ports
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Want to make sure I understand you correctly, the multilink came down but the router didn't crash, correct?

I couldn't find any bugs with router crashing due to service-policy removal with that particular IOS version.

If the multilink came down, what errors did you see in the log?

Are you sure you didn't remove any ppp related commands under the serial interfaces?

One best practice learning experience from here, 'do not make configuration changes in a router during production'.

Regards,

Correct the router didn't crash, because I was still connected to it when the calls started coming in, at that point I just went to the server room and power cycled it.  I didn't do any other commands then the ones posted earlier.  Which loggs should I look at to see what happened?  Good advice to adhere to.

show log will contain all the information you need.

Since you rebooted it the router, that information is now gone.

Edison

ok, it is not showing anything from yesterday at 16:00 EST`.

So I am getting our service provider engineer involved so that we can get all these polices matching on the edge, backbone and remote routers.  So when I am applying the correct policies and if it drops again, I'll be sure it is night time and to check the logs and not power the router off.

Thanks again for the crash course in QOS,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: