cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3945 router guess who didn't change the password on first boot up ?

Ross Morton
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I powered up a 3945 router for the first time today and only noticed on shutting it down that the banner states that you need to change the username/password the first time it is started up ! Who reads the banner ? Needless to say I am now locked out of it, Been looking around the web and I can't find anything specific for a 3945 password recovery only for the 3800 series, Will this suffice ? Also interested how this works exactly as I deleted the startup config on the router on the first login so how has it managed to still lock me out ?

Regards Ross

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

microfeel
Level 1
Level 1

Play around with conreq. Before loading IOS hit ctrl+break keys. issue confreq 0x2142 command. Reload device. Backup config, add user and password. issue confreq 0x2102. Reload.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to use Cisco/Cisco?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Turn off the router and then turn it back on.  It should let you in with the default password you used the first time.

HTH

microfeel
Level 1
Level 1

Play around with conreq. Before loading IOS hit ctrl+break keys. issue confreq 0x2142 command. Reload device. Backup config, add user and password. issue confreq 0x2102. Reload.

That did it many thanks !

marcusauman
Level 1
Level 1

On all 3900 and 2900 series routers you can only login in with the default login of cisco/cisco ONE time. You must then set a password and save the configuration in order to be able to log into next time. If not then you will have to do a password recovery. Speaking from experience.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: