cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6807 Intervlan Routing

abarb002
Level 1
Level 1

Question, can intervlan routing be done a 6807 layer 3 switch by way of SVIs? I was reading a configuration guide (6800 series) on the cisco site and there is a mention of ISL and other methods which all mention using subinterfaces. Do not want to even try that. This switch is not on our network, its in a test environment for future deployment. I do have my SVIs created, in both instances by way of the global command with name and int configs with ip addresses. I did a test run with a two laptops connected to different vlans on this same switch, but are unable to ping each other. They can ping the switch but not each other.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Question, can intervlan routing be done a 6807 layer 3 switch by way of SVIs?"

It can! (I've done it on the 6807 and other Catalyst 68xx series models). (It also can be done on "routed" ports too.

As Christian notes, most likely your laptops don't have the SVI IPs, on their respective VLANs, as a gateway address. However, the 6807 has other features, like ACLs or VRFs, that could block communication between two SVIs/VLANs; if yours 6807 only has a very basic configuration, unlikely such features are the issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Honestly we do not have any visibility on your network and how they connected, and post some network diagram aling with configuraiton where these device connected, what VLAN they belong to, what IP address these PC having.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It can be done, is on by default, and i don't even think you can disable it on that platform. Have you configured your laptops with the proper default getaway, which is the IP address configured on the 6807, on the SVI number which matches the VLAN number where the user is attached; like if one laptop is in access mode vlan 2, its default gateway needs to be the IP address configured on 6807 on "interface Vlan 2".

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Question, can intervlan routing be done a 6807 layer 3 switch by way of SVIs?"

It can! (I've done it on the 6807 and other Catalyst 68xx series models). (It also can be done on "routed" ports too.

As Christian notes, most likely your laptops don't have the SVI IPs, on their respective VLANs, as a gateway address. However, the 6807 has other features, like ACLs or VRFs, that could block communication between two SVIs/VLANs; if yours 6807 only has a very basic configuration, unlikely such features are the issue.

Thanks for response. I had to role back some configurations. I mirrored the configuration of the switch to be replaced, with had some configurations that were no needed in an offline environment. I removed the ospf key from the management vlan and that opened things up. Thanks.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card