Views
Helpful
Replies

7204/7206 VXR - Are they EOL/EOS

Zubair.Sayed_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I would like to find out what the status is of the Cisco 7204 VXR and 7206 VXR routers?

I understand they are EOLife and EOSale....Are they also EOSupport?

Pease advise as we planning to upgrade 3 of them in our environment and management requires feedback around this.

We thinking of going the ASR1000 route..

Thanks & Regards

ZS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please read the link that you have posted yourself:

The non-VXR chassis, and the old NPEs did go already EoS many years ago.

The VXR chassis, and the NPE-Gx processors, are NOT EoS.

Please place more trust in professional of this trade for a next occasion.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 720xVXR, NPE-G1, NPE-G2, are NOT End of sale, NOT End of Life, and they remains a very important device for those than know how to use it.

I do understand that they very important and powerful routers till today, however I disagree with you when you say they NOT EOS/EOL.

See link on Cisco website which confirm 7204/7206 are both EOS/EOL routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_end_of_life.html

Regards

ZS

Please read the link that you have posted yourself:

The non-VXR chassis, and the old NPEs did go already EoS many years ago.

The VXR chassis, and the NPE-Gx processors, are NOT EoS.

Please place more trust in professional of this trade for a next occasion.

Apologies, maybe I was not specific enough. We are using the NPE series.

Thanks

ZS

If you are using the VXR chassis as indicated initially, you can upgrade to NPE-G1 or G2, and enjoy very high perfomances and great software flexibility, even in the fast networks of today.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

How long do we have for the NPE-Gx before they become EOS/EOL?

I dont want to upgrade to these and then we find out in another year or two they might also be affected,

Only someone from Cisco can answer you question, but I doubt they would.

I have noticed you haven't rated any correct and useful answer so far, maybe it would be time that you begin to show appreciation for those that freely contribute their time and professionalism to this forum.

Paolo, are you just on this forum to gain points or to honestly help people in need?

I understand we show appreciation but you seem to be chasing this like you in a competition....

G wizz, let me rate you even though you have not answered any question.

Thank you for your rating, and good luck!

Apologies for any misunderstanding Paolo. I have rated you.

Thanks again.

ZS

Paolo, are you just on this forum to gain points or to honestly help people in need?

It's got nothing to do with points.

Turn the tables around for a minute.  If you are looking for an answer and you found this thread.  WHICH answer would you trust?  A answer with NO POINTS or an answer with FIVE points? 

My next comment is not aimed directly at you but to the rest of the people:  Be considerate.  If you believe that the answer is correct then give what is due.

NOTE:  Paolo is one of those who's seen the inside of Cisco (he's an ex-Cisco employee) and he's held a high regard in this forum.  You see that gold badge next to his name?  It's got nothing to do with his looks or his points.  It's the amount of accurate information he dishes out.  I'll say it once and I'll say it again, if Paolo ever tells me that 1 + 1 = 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 then I'll take it.  No questions asked.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An Paulo already noted, 7200 VXRs are still current, not to be confused with original 7200s.

Are they worth upgrading?  Perhaps.  Much depends on what you have now and what you need.  Often to boost performance all you need to do is upgrade the processor engine.

Long term outlook for the series?  One can only hazard a guess, or read router entrails.

The lower end routers continue to gain performance, e.g. 3945 and 3945E, also with upgradable "engine"; and the faster ASRs, being newer, may expand.  In other words, if Cisco overlaps 7200 series performance, then there's not much need to offer the series.

There's some capacity left in the chassis as demonstrated by the (now discontined) faster(?) NSE-1.  Since the latter was discontinued, my guess would be, don't count on much new, but with installed base, I would be surprised if series go EOS in the next year or two.  Even if they do, it takes a while longer for EOL.

Joseph, the NSE-1 was not faster at all. I  have been a test engineer for it many years ago.

This board have a co-processor (the PXF) intended to hardware process certain services like netflow and NAT. This architecture did not proved successful neither technically or in sales, so the attention was given back to traditional, fast CPU like G1 and G2.

The reality of today is that the 7200VXR (G1 or G2) cannot be replaced by anything else for many applications, so Cisco cannot EoS it even if they wanted.

Leo: thank you for your continued appreciation mate. I also see you're getting the deserved recognition in this community. I'm currectly computing the true value of 1 + 1 and will let you know which it is ASAP.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting  offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Joseph, the NSE-1 was not faster at all. I  have been a test engineer for it many years ago.

There's multiple reason's why I had "(?)" after the word faster.

It's certainly true, services not accelerated by the PXF are much slower than delivered on G1 or G2.

Don't have any direct production experience with NSE-1, do have production experience with G1 and 7304 NSE-100 side by side, processing same load.  I believe the NSE-100 is nearly the equivalent(?) of the NSE-1, although could be mistaken.

For the NSE-100, it's specs note non-PXF as 450 Kpps and 3.5 Mpps for PXF CEF.  NSE-150 specs are 800 Kpps/3.5 Mpps.  NSE-1 only found 300 Kpps, but would suspect PXF might also be 3.5 Mpps.

Back to my production usage example with the two side by side, the 7304 showed a considerably lower CPU load.  Both routers were Enterprise/Internet connected carrying full Internet tables.  Internet side, "busy" OC12.

You mentioned "many years ago", and I think I recall IOS SB release notes describing PXF processing features added in certain versions, so perhaps, during the time period you mention, something like CEF not accelerated on NSE-1.

In the datasheets for the NSE-1 currently on Cisco's web site, CEF is noted as a PXF accelerated service.

Real point of my mention of the NSE-1, I believe Cisco could, if it desired, provide an engine faster than G2.

However, you may still be 100% right about NSE-1 performance with latest provided IOSs, but if not, I'm sure you're 100% correct about it was true "many years ago".

This board have a co-processor (the PXF) intended to hardware process certain services like netflow and NAT. This architecture did not proved successful neither technically or in sales, so the attention was given back to traditional, fast CPU like G1 and G2.

Having used the NSE-100, although pleased with performance, was disappointed with features in SB train not available compared to mainline train.  Interestingly, 7304 still(?) available with choice of NSE-150 or NPE-G100, the latter nearly the equivalent(?) of the NPE-G1.  So, PXF architecture may not be a total failure - think PXF also used elsewhere(?) in some Cisco products.

The reality of today is that the 7200VXR (G1 or G2) cannot be replaced by anything else for many applications, so Cisco cannot EoS it even if they wanted.

Today, ageed, but again with devices like the latest 3945E nipping at G1 performance and ASRs, if a lower or more entry level model is provided, may in a year or two eliminate the need for the 7200 series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card