cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access host same VLAN but will pass on a trunk on a different VLAN

HHUBS
Level 1
Level 1

How to access HOST15 from HOST2 without adding VLAN150 on the trunk of e0/2 of SW-A and SW-B?

Here's the diagram:

gns3.2.png

SW-A CONFIGS:

SW-A#sh run int e0/2

interface Ethernet0/2

switchport trunk allowed vlan 60

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

SW-A#sh run int e3/0

interface Ethernet3/0

switchport access vlan 150

switchport mode access

SW-A#sh run int e3/1

interface Ethernet3/1

switchport access vlan 60

switchport mode access

SW-B CONFIGS:

SW-B#sh run int e0/2

interface Ethernet0/2

switchport trunk allowed vlan 60

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

SW-B#sh run int e3/0

interface Ethernet3/0

switchport access vlan 60

switchport mode access

SW-B#sh run int e3/1

interface Ethernet3/1

switchport access vlan 150

switchport mode access

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

@HHUBS hello, i am not sure your intension on this. but you can try below.

1. plug new cable between sw-a and sw-b with configuring the vlan 150 on that port

2. use protocol like VxLAN.

3. i have heard about some VLAN hopping using native VLAN. but not recommended and not sure if that supports in new OSs. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

We have multicast coming through to both of these switches and these multicasts are the same (225.1.1.x) and on VLAN 150. So we cannot add VLAN150 on the trunk. I intend to access the hosts on SW-A on VLAN150 if I'm coming through SW-B. I will search for options 2 and 3. Thanks for your answer.

@HHUBS mmm. is there anywany that you can move multicast to another vlan or users to another vlan? 

Good luck
KB

No, it's not possible.

@HHUBS ok.. you can try @MHM Cisco World method first. i think that will help for this.

Good luck
KB

@HHUBS wrote:

We have multicast coming through to both of these switches and these multicasts are the same (225.1.1.x) and on VLAN 150. So we cannot add VLAN150 on the trunk. I intend to access the hosts on SW-A on VLAN150 if I'm coming through SW-B. I will search for options 2 and 3. Thanks for your answer.

More or less, if there's supposed to be just one VLAN 150, the same L2 domain, then anything you do to interconnect the two VLAN 150s, should make it a single L2 domain, which appears it should be (from the VLAN 150 SVI IPs).

If the multicast you're talking about, is the same multicast stream, multicast should stop using one of the gateway VLAN interfaces from distribution of the stream into VLAN 150.  Further, if one multicast path becomes blocked, ideally multicast routing should switch over to the other gateway interface.  (I recall, multicast switch over, both for initial suppression of other ingress paths and for fail overs, can be slow, and during multicast flow startup, you may have duplicate multicast packet delivered to the VLAN.  Hosts should "recognize" duplicate multicast packets and ignore them.  Worst case with duplicates, it consumes traffic to multicast recipients.  Non-multicast recipients should have non-desired multicast traffic suppressed by IGMP snooping.)

Simple fast way is using 

L2tpv3 by using xconnect in each sw

MHM

Thank you. I'm not familiar on that but I will search for it. 

HHUBS
Level 1
Level 1

I can access the HOST15 from HOST2 if the interface e0/2 on both of the switches is in access mode. But I don't think if it's recommended or not.

@HHUBS wrote:

I can access the HOST15 from HOST2 if the interface e0/2 on both of the switches is in access mode. But I don't think if it's recommended or not.

An what VLAN do you assign e0/2 to, as an access port.

Your diagram, doesn't show what VLAN 150 connects to on uplink (?) ports e0/0 and e0/1.

If would be helpful, if you can further describe what you're trying to accomplish, and what your topology is, and the problem you believe you have; also the multicast technology you're using.

Hello

@HHUBS wrote:

We have multicast coming through to both of these switches and these multicasts are the same (225.1.1.x) and on VLAN 150. So we cannot add VLAN150 on the trunk.

Based on what you have shared, it looks like your network design is incorrect, It suggests you are running an extended L2 topology, with the same active L3 subnets on each L3 switch, and isolating each side of the network for vlan 150 by pruning off that vlan on the trunk interconnect.

Suggestions of L2tpv3 or Vxlan  wouldn't be appropriate to your topology in this instance, I believe what you should be doing is applying some fhrp resiliency such as (hsrp) between the two L3 switches so your end hosts have resilient default-gateway and to accomplish that it will mean allowing both vlans to traverse the trunk)

As for the multicast, you dont elaborate on your mc design apart from hosts share the same mc group, however without any Mc routing (pim) the MC traffic will be isolated within its own broadcast domain (vlan) anyway so at this moment im not sure of the issue here?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card