cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to two private subnets with same IPs

marioflory
Level 1
Level 1

I have a setup where multiple identical industrial machines have a PLC with two network cards and routing between the internal 192.168.1.0 network and the plant network 172.16.0.0.

Every machine has a unique IP in the plant network but internally the components have every time the same IPs in the 192.168.1.0 network. For example a touchpanel with x.x.x.90.

I configured the default gateway of each machine to the router of the plant network 172.16.0.1. Other than that, there are no configuration changes possible.

I would like to access each panel of the machines using individual IPs on the plant network from other subnets of the plant network. I looked at static source NAT, but I am missing a possibility to have routes to the different machines from the router of the plant network, as the subnets and IPs are identical.

I can only reach 1 machine when I add a static route in the router to its PLC, and using source NAT.

Can I do something thats using different routes depending on which inside global IP I'm using?

I believe it is not possible, as I cannot match any thing else than the IP 192.168.0.90, but not the unique PLC IP which sends the packets to the router. Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a small network diagram of how these connected?

which is the device doing routing and NAT?

you can map 1 to 1 static NAT each device if you like 

example  192.168.0.90 to 172.16.0.90

192.168.0.91 to 172.16.0.91  so on again it all depends on what kind of setup and router you have here .

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The router I need to configure is a cisco 800 series with IOS, which is the plant network router. I'm using one interface to reach all machines using a switch, and another interface to the PC clients (inside/outside)

The tricky point is that in every machine network there is the 192.168.0.90 IP for the panel, which I cannot change. The static NAT is what I tried but I'd need different routes to reach each machine via its plant network IP, but the machines have all the same private IP network 192.168.0.0/24. 

every machine network there is the 192.168.0.90 IP for the panel,

Ah, this is not going to work. - until you want to put more effort VRF here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
No it won’t be possible so you will need to keep obtaining access to those hosts via their routable subnet 172.16.0.0 or re- address the secondary nics.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card