cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a password without a CD-ROM

wimcalp
Level 1
Level 1

Owned my Cisco Linksys E3000 for what must be close to 20 years now.

My router stopped linking with other new equipment because the correctly-entered password would no longer work?

I had to reset my router back to factory settings and in doing so, lost my password protection.

Router is now up and running again, but is no longer password protected.

My original password protection came via a CD-ROM disc.

I no longer have CD-ROM capabilities, current computer does not have one.

How can I add a password without a CD-ROM unit??

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suggest to upgrade to new hardware where possible due to security risk in the old hardware.

check some FAQ can help you :

https://www.linksys.com/gb/support-article/?articleNum=134969#b

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you!

Logged into the sign in page, left username as blank and typed admin for password (as detailed)...   will NOT sign me in and just tells me that my connection is not private and keeps refreshing over and over????

unfortunatly less support we can give here for 20 years back device. no one can guess what went wrong

post the screenshot let give another shot to help you.

BB

cisco1.jpg

cisco2.jpg

This looks like i  may be thinking browser issue, since you have latest Google browser no longer support old ciphers.

or you may reset to factory again and try with supported browser.

get below browser and test it.

https://www.palemoon.org/

BB

Works a little better now, but what do you put down for Username??

According to Cisco help, leave the username blank (it's been factory reset, so it shouldn't have one) and use 'admin' for password.

Still not working???

Nope, and I tried half of the other signin combos in that link and nothing works?cisco3.jpg

as i mentioned I spent a good time helping here ....no more ideas to give you now ...rather try ...google.com 

BB

I thank you for your help!!!

How can I get in touch with a Cisco Tech person (and NOT over the phone, I am deaf)

The site doesn't seem to be very helpful in that manner!

I am not sure that contacting Cisco tech support would do you much good. To get them involved you almost certainly would need a current support contract. And on equipment that old that would be quite a challenge.

I am not clear what the current environment is. You say there was a reset and that now it is running. But not clear what has happened/changed since the reset. So I suggest that you do another manual reset (Locate the Reset button and, using a pen or a paper clip, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds.) After that the documentation does indicate that you should be able to log in leaving the user name blank and password of admin.

HTH

Rick

To recap

Purchased this Cisco router no earlier than 2010 (the year it was made.. not as old as I originally thought) and passwords were installed via the included CD-ROM.

No problems.

Approximately 2 years ago, new wi-fi devices would no longer install using the password. The password has remained unchanged since day one and I am the only person that knew it.

However, new devices would link to the router using the WPS button.

Earlier this week, I purchased a new device (Roku streaming stick) which is NOT WPS capable.

The only solution was to factory reset the router to remove or change the password, which I can only assume had been corrupted somehow.

Factory reset worked just fine and everything automatically connects to the wi-fi. My network name disappeared from the available wi-fi list only to be replaced by the generic Cisco*****.

The only problem now is that my wi-fi signal is now unlocked for anyone to use and I no longer have access to a CD-ROM drive.

Using the info supplied by Balaji.Bandi, I am unsuccessfully attempting to reinstalll a password, but I am unable to sign in.

The sign in page will NOT accept (blank)/admin (or any other combination). I have even installed an older browser as suggested above.

I am getting nowhere and Cisco do not want to make themselves available to help (I am unable to use a voice phone).

I doubt that resetting my router for a second time in two days will make any difference....

I doubt that resetting my router for a second time in two days will make any difference....

at this stage you do not have any sucess, Trying is not harm, since any way it was broken now.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card