cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

any good way to generate default-route in eigrp

shan-cao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,I haven't a good way to generate default route in my eigrp environment. who can tell me?Thanks a lot

Sincerely

6 Replies 6

nathan.deane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

default route's are not part of any dynamic routing protocol i.e EIGRP, OSPF etc..but is a static route that is configured like this

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "ip address of internet gateway"

so for instance

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Try something like this:

access-list standard eigrpdefualt

permit 0.0.0.0

deny any

Then use a distribute list out to your neighbors who you want to get a default route.

dont access lists deny all that is not permitted ? so "deny any" is not needed

and forgive me if i am wrong but is that not just going to distribute out the access-list to all routers in the EIGRP AS and ultimating just allow packets out, not direct packets with an unknown destination to a specified gateway?

Nathan

Yes the deny any is implicit, but I like to use it. That basically comes down to preference.

The defualt route I am referring to is usually used in a hub and spoke environment where the spokes do not need the entire routing table, and can save resources be just getting a external eigrp default route sent to them.

This is what will show up in the routing table for the spoke router:

D*EX 0.0.0.0/0 [170/2179072].........

Ok, I see where your going with this. your on about stub sites that only have one exit out and are not meshed in any way

mike.jones
Level 1
Level 1

You can also generate a default summary to the neighbors that you want to see a default route by adding the following statement to the interfaces where the neighbors are located:

ip summary-address eigrp x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Just replace the "x" with your eigrp process number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card