cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9K How to remove preconfigured interface

fasteddye
Level 1
Level 1

I had some interfaces on an ASR 9906 running ios-xr 6.6.3 that I wanted to default/remove all their configuration and I used the no interface <interface name> command.  This has removed the interface completely from the running configuration and now has an interface preconfigure <interface name> now.  I have tried to configure this interface with an ip address and commit but it still shows with interface preconfigure name.

I am not able to get this interface to show back as a normal interface name.  I would not have issued the no interface command had I known it would name the interface with preconfigure.  I would welcome any guidance on how to get this interface back to "normal" in the running configuration.

Many Thanks.

4 Replies 4

OscarChacon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fasteddye,

I believe the command to default an interface is "default interface eth X/X"

assuming you haven't saved the config, you could check the start-up config and search for the config for that interface and use that config to recreate it.

you can use "show startup-config | sec interface" <- don't have an ASR9k to test but this should work.

ejmUSMC
Level 1
Level 1

The asr 9000's use XR.  I find that when removed SAT's or modules leave preconfigured interfaces and I wish to remove them all:

config
no int preconfig *

can generally do the trick.  You can in config mode use "show config" to see what it's going to implement and verify before you commit the change if there's anything you don't want it to remove.

Have you checked "show inventory" to make sure the module/sfp is not unknown?

julijime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @fasteddye ,

You can use the command "rollback configuration last 1" to undo the committed change, another option is that you can add the configuration manually, for example:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#sh run
Thu Apr 10 03:57:30.482 UTC
Building configuration...
!! IOS XR Configuration 6.5.2
!! Last configuration change at Thu Apr 10 03:57:19 2003 by admin
!
logging console disable
line console
width 300
length 0
!
interface MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/0
shutdown
!
interface MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/1
shutdown
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/0
shutdown
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/2
shutdown
!

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#conf t
Thu Apr 10 03:59:23.788 UTC
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config)#interface TenGigE0/0/0/1
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)# ipv4 address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#commit

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#sh run
Thu Apr 10 04:08:21.590 UTC
Building configuration...
!! IOS XR Configuration 6.5.2
!! Last configuration change at Thu Apr 10 03:59:28 2003 by admin
!
logging console disable
line console
width 300
length 0
!
interface MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/0
shutdown
!
interface MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/1
shutdown
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/0
shutdown
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/1
ipv4 address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
!

At the end, should be able to see the interface showing up in the "show ip interface brief" output:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#sh ip int b
Thu Apr 10 04:30:24.157 UTC

Interface                      IP-Address      Status          Protocol Vrf-Name
MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/0           unassigned      Shutdown        Down     default 
PTP0/RSP0/CPU0/0               unassigned      Shutdown        Down     default 
MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/1           unassigned      Shutdown        Down     default 
TenGigE0/0/0/0                 unassigned      Shutdown        Down     default 
TenGigE0/0/0/1                 10.10.10.1      Up              Up       default 

Leon McCalla
Level 1
Level 1

you have "interface preconfigure X/X/X/X" if the interface has been removed from the chassis.  you can delete this with "no interface preconfigure X/X/X/X".  If the interface is in the chassis then it will revert to "interface X/X/X/X". if you accidentally delete it then you can put it back with "interface X/X/X/X" followed by "shutdown" or any other command.

I suspect you deleted "interface A/B/C/D" then tried to add "interface X/Y/Z" which doesnt actually exist and so it remained preconfigured under the expectation that you would insert that interface in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card