Views
Helpful
Replies

Asymmetric Routing - OSPF

netbeginner
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, 

We are expericing problem with Asymmetric Routing with OSPF due to which some applications are not working as following different path for Incoming and Outgoing route.

please suggest.

3 Replies 3

ritchieb
Level 1
Level 1

Asymmetric routing by itself shouldn't be an issue, does the data path include a FW causing the problem? Or is it that the server/device has multiple NICs?

You'll need to provide more information in order for people to understand the situation/scenario.

Hi ,

Yes, FW comes in between traffic flow. Servers also having Two NIC card.

Site -A (Remote End) : Traffic is coming on Link-2

Site-B (DC - FW , COre Switch) :
i) Server NIC-1 --> Core Switch-1 => Reverse traffic flow is through Link -1
ii) Server NIC-2 --> Core Switch-2 => Reverse traffic flow is through Link-2

Rgds

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello netbeginner,

if this issue is related to the other thread that you have opened, I would suggest you to go on there providing additional info as I have written there ( logical network topology and show commands for OSPF).

If this is a different scenario you should provide much more info in order to get help.

Generally speaking Asymmetric routing in OSPF can happen in multiarea OSPF or if you configure different OSPF costs at the two ends of a link (something not wise in production networks).

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card