Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM router as backup

a.crippa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I explain my question. at the moment I have a 888 router that works fine, I want to configure backup (I already have configure ISDN backup but the performance it's to poor), and I want to use an other router 887 (that I already have) with adsl.

My idea is to configure the second router as stand alone gateway, and confiure in the first router a "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 VLAN1 192.168.0.253 100".

But I know that this second route is used only in case the interface status of primary route goes down but not in case fault only protocol.

Do you have any idea to configure a better routing or faulting procedure?

-----------------------------------

VLAN1 192.168.0.254

ATM0.1 1.1.1.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ATM0.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 VLAN1 192.168.0.253 100

VLAN1 192.168.0.253

ATM0.1 2.2.2.2

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ATM0.1

Ciao

Augusto.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

PBR, default route tracking or a dynamic routing protocol would be your best options in my opinion.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

PBR, default route tracking or a dynamic routing protocol would be your best options in my opinion.

Thank a lot in lab test with route tracking work great! I hope it works also in customer production...

I follow thi thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/174255
Thank a lot

Augusto

paulstone80
Level 3
Level 3

If the goal is to provide redundancy for the client's default gateway, then use HSRP or VRRP on both routers. Configure tracking on the primary router so that HSRP/VRRP IP moves to the secondary router when the tracked object is down/unreachable.

If these are upstream routers (not client gateways), then as KWillacey says, use default route tracking and a dynamic routing protocol.

Regards,

Paul

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card