Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Testing

itdsmartnet
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have network consisting of 6506 as a core switch and 3750E as an access layer switches. My access layer switches are connected in daisy chain.

The problem is that when my clients transfer a file from one system to another system the transfer rate is slow. Actually clients are connected to switch with 1GB link and my switches connected to core with trunks are 10GB. The transfer rate which i get is about 1GB file per minute. What might be the cause.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"My access layer switches are connected in daisy chain."

Do you mean the 3750-Es are stacked or are they interconnected with gig or 10 gig Ethernet?

Lots of items can contribute to slower than expected file transfer performance, including some that have nothing to do with the network, such as the actual performance of the storage devices. A traffic generator could be used to first determine whether the network path is slow, if it's not, then you could look more at the storage performance.

At the network level, problems could be either with the infrastructure, or with one or both hosts. For high speed performance, much can depend on the quality of the host NICs, their drivers, the quality of the OS, the file protocol being used, etc. For example, Windows XP hosts default TCP receive window or CIFS often can't provide the same level of performance as can the newer Windows Vista.

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

Check port speed/duplex mismatch errors.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Check the speed and duplex setting for any mismatch error from storage to the client;

2.  Do an extended ping test from the client machine up to the IP address of the storage and back.

3.  When is this slow responses happening?  Anytime during working hours?  During the evening?  Happens all the time?  Happens any time?

4.  Haven't tried it yet but I hope this helps:  Catalyst Switching Built-in Traffic Simulator

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card