cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Banners: 2610XM Banner MOTD, Exec and Login

Jeromy Polachak
Level 1
Level 1

Im running through a lab that gives me three types of commands.

1. Banner MOTD which should be the first thing they see it says.

2. Banner Exec which is next.

Then you type in the password

3. Banner Login

Well when im doing it on the lab it puts number 1 and 3 together above everything and then banner Exec does come after the password. Im running 12.3.(20) if that helps with anything. Thank you!               

Its really annoying and wanting to put up proper messages in the proper order to make everything look professional.

Jeromy
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo,

Banner MOTD is most commonly used.  I've never seen a network that uses Banner Exec and Login. 

Really? The networks are soooooo wrong, then (No offense intended )

Seriously, though. The banner MOTD and banner LOGIN have different purposes.

The LOGIN banner is the banner you should be using for the usual warning against entering the device without permission etc. It is the banner that is always there and is not supposed to be changed often. The text of this banner may be even required to go over the legal department to be eligible to be used in cases when unauthorized access occured and you needed the LOGIN banner formulation in legal procedures. You do not usually want to play with the formulation of the LOGIN banner after the legal department said it is to their liking.

The MOTD, or Message-of-the-Day, is what it says - a message whose applicability is time-limited. Perhaps you want to announce a system maintenance or planned downtime, or any other information that comes and after a day or a few, it's obsolete and should be removed. The banner MOTD gives you the ability to create such message without tampering with the banner LOGIN. You just configure the banner MOTD, put whatever urgent information you have to say, and afterwards, you remove it again - without ever touching your banner LOGIN. The MOTD will be displayed first, the LOGIN second.

Interestingly enough, the Networking Academy curricula also teach students to use just the banner MOTD, something I strongly disapprove of. Perhaps this is a legacy from old Unix systems where the message displayed to users was stored in /etc/motd although it was really what Cisco calls banner EXEC.

Still, while this distinction may appear as cosmetic and insignificant, it is my belief we should use things for the purpose they were created for. MOTD is not a replacement for LOGIN banner.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Banner MOTD is most commonly used.  I've never seen a network that uses Banner Exec and Login. 

I will take your word on it and I just looked it up in another resource and shows it like this.

1. Banner MOTD comes very first

2. Banner login comes right after that

3. and banner exec comes after the password so you can not let unauthorized people from seeing certain information.

So I will basically remember banner exec is for the executive people who can see important messages and the MOTD is for anyone to see and login is after motd and "meaning prior to login* which is usually going to say unauthorized access is not permitted*.

Thank you because you got me on the right track.

Jeromy

Leo,

Really? The networks are soooooo wrong, then (No offense intended )

Seriously, though. The banner MOTD and banner LOGIN have different purposes.

The LOGIN banner is the banner you should be using for the usual warning against entering the device without permission etc. It is the banner that is always there and is not supposed to be changed often. The text of this banner may be even required to go over the legal department to be eligible to be used in cases when unauthorized access occured and you needed the LOGIN banner formulation in legal procedures. You do not usually want to play with the formulation of the LOGIN banner after the legal department said it is to their liking.

The MOTD, or Message-of-the-Day, is what it says - a message whose applicability is time-limited. Perhaps you want to announce a system maintenance or planned downtime, or any other information that comes and after a day or a few, it's obsolete and should be removed. The banner MOTD gives you the ability to create such message without tampering with the banner LOGIN. You just configure the banner MOTD, put whatever urgent information you have to say, and afterwards, you remove it again - without ever touching your banner LOGIN. The MOTD will be displayed first, the LOGIN second.

Interestingly enough, the Networking Academy curricula also teach students to use just the banner MOTD, something I strongly disapprove of. Perhaps this is a legacy from old Unix systems where the message displayed to users was stored in /etc/motd although it was really what Cisco calls banner EXEC.

Still, while this distinction may appear as cosmetic and insignificant, it is my belief we should use things for the purpose they were created for. MOTD is not a replacement for LOGIN banner.

Best regards,

Peter

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You may have a look on this thread

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/33891

Hope it will help

Best regards,
Abzal
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card