cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and QOS

david-lima
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all, I need to apply QoS to control the traffic, I have a group of routers that are using BGP as routing protocol.

Is it possible to apply QoS LLQ if I'm using BGP?

It would be great if you can share an example.

Thanks a lot

David.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Could your further explain your question?  Are you asking whether you can use QoS features, such as LLQ, while also using BGP?  If so, yes.  Are you asking whether you can place BGP into LLQ?  Yes you could, but I wouldn't recommend it.  Or, again, are you asking something else?

Hi Joshep, thanks a lot for your answer.

I'm trying to use QoS features (LLQ) in a network that is using BGP.

For testing purpose, I want to control the http traffic to 100 Kbps, but when I apply this configuration I see that the http traffic is higher than 100 Kbps.

Is there any difference with QPPB (QoS Policy Propagation via BGP)?

** QOS CONFIGURATION

class-map match-all DATA
 match access-group 101

policy-map QoS
 class DATA
 bandwidth 100

class class-default
  fair-queue
  set ip precedence 0

access-list 101 permit tcp 10.3.1.0 0.0.0.255 host 10.3.10.20 eq www

** BGP CONFIGURATION

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description ***WAN***
 bandwidth 8000
 ip address 10.208.243.210 255.255.255.252
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
 ip flow ingress
 ip flow egress
 load-interval 30
 duplex full
 speed 100
 service-policy output QoS

router bgp 64789

bgp log-neighbor-changes
 network 10.3.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.200.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.201.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.202.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.203.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.204.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.205.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.206.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.3.207.0 mask 255.255.255.0
 neighbor 10.208.243.209 remote-as 6147
 neighbor 10.208.243.209 update-source GigabitEthernet0/0
 neighbor 10.208.243.209 default-originate
 neighbor 10.208.243.209 soft-reconfiguration inbound

Thanks again.

David

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ah, well for your class DATA, the bandwidth statement sets a minimum, not a maximum.  If you really want to restrict class bandwidth usage you need to add a policer or shaper to the class.

LLQ classes, which bandwidth classes are not, do have an implicit policer, but on most platforms, the implicit policer only engages if LLQ has queued traffic.

Hi Joseph, I'll use a policer.

Just something odd, when I apply that QoS to the WAN interface, I lost the connection with the remote host 10.3.10.20. There is something wrong in the QoS config?

Thanks again.

David

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

For the policy and interface, exactly as posted?

If so, I don't see any obvious errors that would block all traffic to 10.3.10.20.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card