cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bring up new 10Gig link without moving traffic across the link

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, I will be provisioning a new fiber 10gig link in my companies WAN. The fiber is owned by us but, I would like to bring the physical link up with out routing IP traffic it across it.

We are using EIGRP. One Idea I had was to put a delay on each side of the new link.

Is this a preferred method? Would I need a delay on each side of the new link if so?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

If you just want to bring the link up but not route across it you can either -

1) not have a network statement under EIGRP for the subnet allocated to the new interface

or

2) if you already have a network statement covering the new interface IP subnet make the interface passive which will stop EIGRP forming an adjacency and exchanging routes.

If you want to bring up EIGRP on the link but not use it then yes you could modify the delay.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

If you just want to bring the link up but not route across it you can either -

1) not have a network statement under EIGRP for the subnet allocated to the new interface

or

2) if you already have a network statement covering the new interface IP subnet make the interface passive which will stop EIGRP forming an adjacency and exchanging routes.

If you want to bring up EIGRP on the link but not use it then yes you could modify the delay.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card