cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C1111PWA Router Not Recognizing Any Clients

90-Lowrider
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a C1111-8PWA-WS for the first time.  After not being able access the internal wireless card I decided to set up without it.  I have a Cisco SG350-28P switch that has POE for the AP's.  Trying to set up the basic unit with just the router I continue to not be able to have either the switch recognized or a computer recognized when I plug with into the 0/1/0 interface.  I am able to access the GUI and the console (as you can see from the pictures).  It feels like there is an issue with the DHCP as ip addresses are not being assigned.  I have read many, many threads and articles and tried many things but still cannot get it to work.

What am I missing?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the network diagram how they connected each other.,

post show run from all devices, not screenshot.

check some config guide to help you :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/software/configuration/xe-16-8/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_xe_16_8_x/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_chapter_01000.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks.  I won't have access to the unit until Friday but the router is plugged into the wall for power and I plug a computer into the upper left LAN port (0/1/0).  That's it.  A computer is plugged into the gig 0/0/1 to access the GUI and a console cable is plugged into the console port.  When the computer was not recognized, I ran a cable from one of the ports on the switch to see if the switch would be recognized.  It was not.

I did read the document you sent.  Several times.  It is for IOS 16.  I have 17.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Hello @90-Lowrider ,

this kind of routers have L3 routed ports like gi0/0/0 and gi0/0/1 and then they have  8 L2 switchports from gi0/1/0 to gi0/1/7.

These ports have no IP address and are associated by default to VLAN 1.

>> A computer is plugged into the gig 0/0/1 to access the GUI and a console cable is plugged into the console port.

gi0/0/1 is L3 routed port

>> and I plug a computer into the upper left LAN port (0/1/0).

this is a L2 port

in default configuration the L2 ports are associated to VLAN1 and interface VLAN 1 (logical L3 interface is named an SVI) has no IP address on it.

see the config example in the config guide posted by BB.

To be able to use the L2 ports you need to decide what IP address you want to put under interface Vlan 1 and eventually to configure a DHCP pool for that subnet.

just as an example from the CLI

conf t

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.255.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

from this point all L2 ports can be used if you put an IP address like 10.10.255.5 mask 255.255.255.0 on the PC connected to gi0/1/0 you should be able to ping 10.10.255.1

Start by doing these tests the next step will be to configure a DHCP pool for the subnet associated to VLAN1

Hope to help

Giuseppe

So you're saying that despite my defining the dhcp pool WEBUIPool I still have to set up VLAN1?  and that VLAN1 is not set up? (see the picture of show run | section dhcp)
From the output, I thought WEBUIPool was associated with VLAN1.  Sounds like that is not the case

Hello @90-Lowrider ,

my understanding is that you need to verify configuration of interface Vlan 1

you can do this by using

show run interface Vlan 1

if there is no ip address change it to

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

for the moment you have defined the DHCP pool a possible reason is the one that I have indicated that by default Vlan 1 has no ip address.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe.  Very helpful.  While I can't confirm, I am going to assume that when I set up the WEBUIPool I defined which ip addresses can access the GUI. I haven't seen anything in the documentation or threads but it would make sense.  On the configuration of VLAN1, is it a single address or a range of addresses? 

I would think that in defining the VLANs you tell the machine which interfaces are part of which VLAN and the "neighborhood" each client can access is defined by the interface they come in on and which VLAN that interface is associated with. 

Hello @90-Lowrider ,

>> On the configuration of VLAN1, is it a single address or a range of addresses? 

>> ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

this is a single IP address that belongs to subnet 192.168.1.0/24 or you can write it as 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

all IP addresses in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 can be used by hosts.

The ARP provides resolution between hosts in a LAN segment including the SVI interface itself by mapping each IP address to the corresponding MAC address ( OSI Layer 2 address).

The router will be able to act as gateway for all hosts in the connected subnet under VLAN1 and to route packets to/from the subnet.

at layer 2 the MAC address is learned in one of the L2 ports gi0/1/0 to gi0/1/7.

Multiple MAC addresses can be learned on the same port for example if you connect a LAN switch that has many clients connected to it downstream.

Perform the tests on the device when you will be able to access it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I tried to assign the ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 to vlan1 but it said "conflicts with gig 0/0/1".  As you may recall I set up WEBUIPool as 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 which is assigned to gig 0/0/1 that I use to access the Webui

Any suggestions?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card