Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping any host outside my own subnet

MatthiasGTW
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I have a new Cisco 881w router to connect my LAN to the Internet, its WAN port is connected directly to the cable modem of my ISP. For connection tests I am working directly on the router CLI via SSH. The problem now is that I can ping any host in the subnet of the IP address of the WAN port (FastEthernet4), including the gateway of my ISP, but I cannot reach/ping any other host outside this subnet. My external IP (of the WAN port) is 84.112.90.88/24, the ISP's gateway is 84.112.90.1, which I can reach (as well as any 84.112.90.x address). The DNS for example, with an IP of 195.34.133.21, is unreachable from the router.

The routing on the ISP side seems to be correct, because when I connect my notebook directly to the ISP modem (instead of the Cisco router), then the Internet connection works fine, I can access any public host/server. Also I don't think thats a NAT issue, because as said I am testing (pinging) directly from the Cisco router CLI.

I do have some understanding of IP routing in general, but unfortunately I am no Cisco IOS expert. Hence I would be glad for any hint you can give me. It's probably only a little issue for a Cisco expert. Please have a look at the attached running config of the router.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards, Matthias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Change the default route to the below one

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 84.112.90.1

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

vinod.agrahari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this is the problem of ACL you applied .You have applied NAT but to access it from outside ,have to configured extended permit access list from there.

Please check and let me know.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Change the default route to the below one

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 84.112.90.1

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

thanks, changing the default route did the trick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card