cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping between servers

Brandon2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I was working on a packet tracer assignment and i have a problem. For some reason I cant ping between 2 Servers. Even though i have setup ipv4 rip, eigrp, ospf between the routers. I will post a screenshot of the network down below.
Does anyone know what could be going wrong? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't have access to PT right now but if I remember correctly, you are not advertise anything out of L3 switch.   Use show ip route and look for 192.168.2.0 and .3.0 networks. They are missing, right?  So you need enable eigrp and advertise networks it has (or ones you want to reach). That's what I meant by enable routing in addition to ip routing command. 

All Pings should work now but only traffic from 192.168.2.x to 192.168.3 and vice versa is encrypted, aka going via IPsec tunnel. Others do not; if you want other networks to be encrypted, you will need to add or change access list.

You may need to ping router-to-router once so that tunnel is formed. 

I think i saved PT file so i can share it once I at home.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Local FW (disabled ?) first come to my mind.

Tests :

From Server 0 can you able to ping Gateway ?

Traceroute to Server 2 - how far it go ?

Can server 0 reach 10.0.0.X network IP on Router 1 or 2811 ? ( same from Server 2?)

share the results ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello thank you for the reply. From server 0 I can ping to the default gateway with success. And Server 0 can reach the 10.0.0.2 ip on router 1 aswell but it cant reach router 3 (the router that is closest to server 2)  same otherway around. Server 2 can ping to router 1 but it cant ping to router 2 (the router that is closest to server 1) And tracer t immediately says request timed out. See screenshots 

Traceroute what hop it failing ( coming started ****) post complete trace

where ever it dropping that is where problem resides, so from that device

post (router 1 guessing here is the issue) show run

show ip route

show ip interface brief

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Brandon2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, it is failing at the first hop already, i will post screenshots of the tests here. Is there anyway i can attach my packet tracer file? 

Router 1 sh run : 

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

shutdown

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

shutdown

!

interface Serial0/0/0

ip address 30.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

clock rate 128000

!

interface Serial0/0/1

no ip address

clock rate 2000000

shutdown

!

interface Serial0/2/0

ip address 20.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

!

interface Serial0/2/1

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

router eigrp 1

network 30.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

network 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

network 20.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

!

router ospf 1

log-adjacency-changes

network 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 30.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 20.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

!

router rip

version 2

network 10.0.0.0

network 20.0.0.0

network 30.0.0.0

no auto-summary

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You can attach PT file but it must be zip file format. so zip it and then attach it here.

Regards, ML

Thank you. Ill attach the file right now.

this one was a tricky one. Router 7 points to 2 different ways for 172.16.10 and .30.  Router 5 claims he has route that should come from other guy. Same thing on Router 6. 

Why do you have 3 different protocols? for testing ? <although should not affect reach-ability, PT may be confused -PT is just a simulator

Solution is 

Subnet Mask for 172.16.10.0 and .30.0  is wrong.  it is /16 but should be /24.

Regards, ML

Martin, thank you so much for your time and help, I appreciate it a lot. Yes the reason why I use 3 different protocols is because I started learning in packet tracer not too long ago. Our teacher wants us to know and be able to use rip, eigrp, ospf protocols. I was actually doubting the subnet for 172.16.10.0 and 30.0 aswell. I asked my teacher what subnet I should use for this address and I was told it should be  /16 so thats why I used it. I have another question about the protocols, are rip and eigrp required for the network to function correctly and to be able to ping? Or is one protocol like OSPF enough? 
And if you dont mind i've got another thing im struggling to find the solution to so if you have some free time and can take a look at it I would appreciate it. 

In the second file, I can't ping from the PC0 network to the vlans on the right network. Do you maybe know why I can't? 
Thank you again.

172.16.10.0 /16 and 172.16.30.0/16 are on the same subnet, so routers are confused.  it should be /24 to make difference and threat them as 2 different networks.  If properly advertised by protocol, either one should be ok to use. if you use all 3, then the one with lowest Admin Distance wins.  You can test it by removing configs; use rip, then eigrp, ospf.

I take look at your IPSec file later.

Regards, ML

Re: IPSec file, Router 2 does not have any routes from L3 switch on right side.  So, you need to enable routing on L3 switch and advertise all SVI networks. 

router eigrp 1, network 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255,  no auto-summary, exit

Also, you are using IOS 12.x which does auto-summary for eigrp; you must add no auto-summary under eigrp on all eigrp routers.  no auto-summary is now default settings for all IOS 15.x routers.

you should be able to ping all PCs now But not all traffic will be encrypted by IPSec (and does not go via tunnel). I guess it should, right?  Can you fix it? if not see link below for a hint

Only traffic that is encrypted is from 192.168.2.x to 192.168.3.x and vice versa right now. 

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7LwU6H5IGE

Note: The video shows alternative option without any routing at all; only with static routes.

Regards, ML

Hello thanks for the reply. I went to the Multilayerswitch which i suppose is what you mean  by L3 switch on the right side. I went into the config mode and added the command: int range f0/1-24 ip routing. I think routing should be enabled for all ports now correct? I actually followed the tutorial of that video you linked before for setting up my IPSEC VPN tunnel. I added no auto-summary in eigrp for all routers. But for some reason i still cannot ping. I want to be able to ping from the pc in the 192.168.2.0 network to all pc's that are in the vlans in the right network but it still doesn't work. Ill watch the video again and ill try to see if i can fix it.

I don't have access to PT right now but if I remember correctly, you are not advertise anything out of L3 switch.   Use show ip route and look for 192.168.2.0 and .3.0 networks. They are missing, right?  So you need enable eigrp and advertise networks it has (or ones you want to reach). That's what I meant by enable routing in addition to ip routing command. 

All Pings should work now but only traffic from 192.168.2.x to 192.168.3 and vice versa is encrypted, aka going via IPsec tunnel. Others do not; if you want other networks to be encrypted, you will need to add or change access list.

You may need to ping router-to-router once so that tunnel is formed. 

I think i saved PT file so i can share it once I at home.

Regards, ML

Hey thank you so much, it worked! I can ping from the 192.168.2.0 network to all the vlans under the multilayer switch. used eigrp in the multilayer switch and added the 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0 and also added the networks i want to reach, so all the vlan adresses in eigrp. Thanks again for explaining and taking the time, I appreciate it a lot and it finally works

Kudos, got it working!  if you want more practice, go to link below to get similar IPsec issue file. Last one is fixed and ok by George but 2 before last one are still broken.  you can practice fixing it. also notice that there are no routing protocols. Fix it without adding any routing protocols just like one in video.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/the-pc-are-not-pinging-though-all-the-configurations-are-done/m-p/4408176#M505400

Note that PT is just simulator. Some advanced stuff may not work properly. IPsec tunnel may not come up until you ping router to router and if you make changes to IPsec config, shut interface and no shut may be required.

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card