Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we assign multiple Vlans to same physical switch port-Access Port

ravi281278
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are having L2 Vlans on our switch and there is a requirement of assigning multiple VLANs to same physical switch port-Access port. We will be terminating server over this port having multiple applications.

Thanks

31 Replies 31

amabdelh
Level 1
Level 1

If you need to have more than one vlan on this port, then this will become a trunk where you have multiple vlans and the traffic will be distinguished by adding the vlan tag to it

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi guys,
i know this is too late reply, but i wonder What if we say like this:
!

interface FastEthernet0/11
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 30
!

ty

If your switch is POE then you can assign 2 VLAN

!

interface fa0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

switchport voice vlan 3

end

As Amjad said, you could create a trunk port and tag VLANs, but you could also specifiy a native vlan:

switchport trunk native vlan XX

...which would send out that particular VLAN (XX) untagged, and any traffic recieved untagged will be put in VLAN XX.

So would behave like an access switchport.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb, will try & revert on the result. Also please let me know this native Vlan(XX) has to be a different vlan from the Vlans used or we can speficy native vlan from any of the used vlans.

Regards

The switch would assume that all the untagged frames coming in on that port are part of the native VLAN. For an example if you are using that port for server and if the server NIC is capable to tag the different subnet traffic with the VLAN tag and if the switch receive any untagged frames sent by the server then they belongs to the native VLAN.

It is not necessary that you should configure native VLAN and it depends on what you configured on your server NIC and if the server is sending any uptagged frames or not.

Thanks,

Kasi

ty

Hi Roman,

Can we assign more than two VLANs on Catalyst 3560 series PoE 48.

Also is it possible to assign each VLAN with different IPs

Appreciate your assistance

Cheers

Raj

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

What kind of server?  Are you going to be plugging in a VMWare ESX server or something?  You just need a trunk port in that case.

Try these two steps.

Configure the port as a trunk

switchport mode trunk

Configure the trunk to only allow vlans 10 and 15

switchport mode trunk allowed vlan 10,15

aMoraesCSantos
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, we can assign multiple Vlans to same physical switch port-Access Port.

first, you need change the switchport to mode trunk end then allow the ports

int f0/0

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20

show interfaces trunk

Fa0/1       10,20

if you wanna add another vlan in the same interface:

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 5

show interfaces trunk

Fa0/1       5,10,20

source = https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2218

but i want to dynamically assign ip to my laptops, so will i do?

thanks

Hi guys,

i have port 1 from sophos xg firewall which also has vlan 200 identified as Port1.200 ( on Sophos XG )

Now Port 1 is connected to fa0/1 on cisco 3560.

My query is , how can i assign vlan 200 to other ports on the switch , so that when a device is connected to say for example fa0/5 it gets an ip from VLAN 200 ( 10.10.200.50 to 10.10.200.150 range , DHCP enabled in Sophos XG )

Appreciate any assistance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco